My starter is making a buzzing sound can anyone help???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djmartin

Reaction score
First of GREAT SITE,

I am so glad I found you guys. I am having a problem with my 2000 Warrior. When I try to start it there is a buzzing sound coming from under the left side of the bike back by the grab bar. It looks like a little solenoid and when I put my hand on it I can fell it buzzing. I thought maybe the battery was dead but the lights are bright and I even put a jumper cable to it and still noting but buzzzzzzzzzzz everytime I hit the starter.
Once in a GREAT while it will kick the engine over for a brief second but not near enough to start it. Most of the time it's just buzzzzzzzzz, buzzzzzzzzz, buzzzzzzzz, you get the idea. Anyone have an idea as to whats going on and how I should proceed with this?
If I can get this wired to my front door it will make an awesome doorbell as it's just as annoying haha..... thanks for your help.

OK,

I took the battery out of my Raptor and tried it in the Warrior but still just buzzing. I also tried jumping a screwdriver accross the 2 leads and all I got was a bunch of sparks???? I was going to take the Raptor solenoid "or is this a relay" out and try it in the Warrior but it looks like they are a little different? So I took everything apart and cleaned it and still just buzzzzzzzzzzzzz, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

any advice would be helpful :)

It your solenoid. Get a new one and Charge your battery up as well? Check the acid levels in it. If all that gets fixed, but it fires right up.

Hold it deadlast. If he jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and it didn't do anything, the starter is probably shot. The solenoid buzzes if the voltage drops too low. If the starter is shorted, the voltage will drop too low, just the same as if the battery was weak on a good starter. It's just more current draw than the battery can supply.

Buy a new starter or take the old one out, and have a shop bench test it. Even advance auto should be able to help you with that.

Great Idea guys. I guess I could pull the starter out and have it tested at the parts store. I was just scared that I would have to start buying this and that and spend a few hunbdred dollars.

Even if you don't jump the solenoid just right it wont work. Best to test both.

My Warrior does this all the time. I cleaned the battery posts and connections, put them back together and tightened them real good. It works like a charm now. It's done this several times and for me, it's ALWAYS a bad connection on the negative side.

first check all your grounds and connections to your battery , also my warrior did the same thing once and it was a blown main fuse thats in a black boot right under the solenoid. another oprion would be the white starter relay to the right of the solenoid .

Back