My little rebuild (finally)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warrior111 said:
If you have a die grinder,(dremmel tool) you could grind the restrictive weld out of the inside of your head pipe, then polish it. I couldnt tell what it did to mine, because i had other mods go into my motor at the same time, but it should make a decent difference.

Thanks warrior I have a dremmel Ill probally try this out before throwing it back together!

i would say try a 14 tooth front if you feel like your shifting to much. 15 might be to much but just all depends on how you want it. i have a 14/40 combo and i like it the way it is, my brothers stock warrior also runs that, almost a little too much for it though.

megafandrew said:
jasonp said:
Any auto parts store should have a good hi temp sealant. The higher the better.
All the rings should be 120 degrees appart from each other (the ends gaps). You can look this up on the internet as well for more info if needed. Also make sure they are on correct way with the dot up. I believe the top two rings to be different so watch that as well.
Put all of the rings in the bore just to make sure they all have the correct end gap.
The supertrapp is actually a pretty good pipe because you can actually tune the exhaust to better suit your riding. You can also open it up and have a full race pipe. I wouldn't sell it.
Same way I rebuilt my engine!

Very cool you built your engine the same way :p I think with the supertrapp you are right you can tune with disc, or to have ultimate free flowing exhaust and remove all legal (for trail) spark arresting and baffling you can run the open core of the pipe with no discs inside and man does it get loud also. I will check for that sealent tommorow, I was told by Royal Distributors that my parts should be here on Friday (excellent but I work starting Wednesday to next Tuesday anyways so no big rush) I cant wait for my new lock on grips and pro-taper bar/pad combo! I will keep the exhaust just clean it up a bit. What front sprocket do recommend I run, last year I ordered a brand new ek chain I believe and JRC sprockets or something like that (good quality stuff anywho) the only problem was that this was before I stage 2 dyno jetted my carb, put on the supertrapp and got the ProFlow K&N filter system, also I put on those 20" razr2's in the back, before this rebuild I was shifting constantly and did not have enough topend or time in between shifts. Should I go with a 14 or 15 tooth front sprocket? Like I said before also, I ride wide/open fast trails

With the 20's and open area I would go with a 15 tooth for sure. Your engine should pull it just fine and you will be able to keep it in the gears for a lot longer. I would even consider a 16.

jasonp said:
With the 20's and open area I would go with a 15 tooth for sure. Your engine should pull it just fine and you will be able to keep it in the gears for a lot longer. I would even consider a 16.

I agree, especially with the majority of riding being wide open areas, and with the 20 inchers on the rear, 15/40 is probably a good setup to go with. I ran 14/40 with 22's which works out to about the same overall ratio, and it worked great for me. Good top end and it still had enough torque to climb any rock strewn incline without having to overwork the clutch.

hey yamarider will I still have a decent low end torque with the 15/40 setup for hills and such, but yes most of my riding is in places where 6 gear is hit more often then say staying in 2nd tearing threw twisties. I want to make sure that doesn't kill any torque'y gain I would get from this piston/sleeve swap but I dont want my top speed to be 52mph either lol. One thing I forgot to pick up was a yfz450/250 shifter? I will get one though when I order my 15 tooth sprocket, I may just grab a 14 as well. I also got some +2 a-arms on the way that I got for a steal off ebay ;) while not really fancy/super high performance I have a feeling this is gonna be a heck off alot funner to ride this summer! Hey guys I see an ARROW POINTING towards one way on the top of the cylinder (you can kind of see it in this pic below) should that arrow be pointing toward the header pipe (front of engine) or towards the seat area ??

PictureMay09237.jpg

sorry for double post here is a described picture lol ;D

cfcfc.jpg

and a little list of kind of what will be done for now:
-Wesico 10:25:1 , .50mm over bored sleeve/piston also running >>>no bottom gasket to further increase compression.<<<
-+2 armidillo a-arms
-works steelers shocks from deadlast (thanks ;P)
-new pro-taper high rise bar and protaper pad
-odio lock-on ruffian grips (very nice)
-Modified header pipe (inside weld will be cleaned out a bit)
-stiffenef up warrior rear shock for now may switch to a banshee or 01 raptor 660 shock
-probally go with 15/40 gearing and new chain
-cut fenders or replace new front fenders (mine are messed anyways)

not too bad I might do some other upgrades later (cam, valve springs)

the two valve bottoms are different sizes.....you can look at the head and then at the top of the piston and see which one goes with which. Your gunna love the quad after your little rebuild. I was running 14/40 with 22" on stock engine for a little bit and still running it now with the mods and love the set up even more

sounds sweet yes I read your build-up and got pretty excited to get mine done. So when I look at the bottom of the head one of valves will be bigger then the other, and one is an intake and the other exhausts correct? So this arrow points to one dirrection I am still not sure does that arrow go towards the bigger valve(intake)? I am going to run 15/40 I think, those +2 arms will be sweet too! as my back end is too wide for the stock fron arms so it should even out nicely. Cant wait for my days off! to get this thing setup. Going to order a couple little things now lol

in you picture and drawn on arrow, that's pointing to the smaller valve. You'll be able to figure it out quite easily once you look at them both together, just remember to install the piston the right way.

15/40 with 20's should hurt your low end power too bad, it didn't for me. It was noticable, but it didn't slow me down at all, the only difference was I needed to use a little more clutch to get rolling up a steep incline, not real bad, just a little big noticable. It'll be an increase all the way through the curve other than that, the longer legs will keep you from shifting so frequently and let you hold the gears longer, with of course a higher top speed.

megafandrew said:
hey yamarider will I still have a decent low end torque with the 15/40 setup for hills and such, but yes most of my riding is in places where 6 gear is hit more often then say staying in 2nd tearing threw twisties. I want to make sure that doesn't kill any torque'y gain I would get from this piston/sleeve swap but I dont want my top speed to be 52mph either lol. One thing I forgot to pick up was a yfz450/250 shifter? I will get one though when I order my 15 tooth sprocket, I may just grab a 14 as well. I also got some +2 a-arms on the way that I got for a steal off ebay ;) while not really fancy/super high performance I have a feeling this is gonna be a heck off alot funner to ride this summer! Hey guys I see an ARROW POINTING towards one way on the top of the cylinder (you can kind of see it in this pic below) should that arrow be pointing toward the header pipe (front of engine) or towards the seat area ??

PictureMay09237.jpg

Arrow goes towards the front or exhaust pipe.
14 tooth will bring you back to stock gearing or close.
You are going to have more torque with that piston. Plus you are using the stock cam so you will have all sorts of low end torque. To keep the engine in the torque longer you will need a taller front sprocket, that way you are not shifting all the time. I know it doesn't make sense that the engine would be quicker this way but it is. You will still have all the torque in the world you will just be using it more for a longer period of time before you have to shift to the next gear. That is the best way I can explain it.
I know my fourwheeler is actually slower accelerating with a 13 tooth compared to a 15. You spend more time shifting then you do on the gas.

Thanks guys and thanks Jason. When you say the piston arrow goes towards exhaust then you mean it goes towards the header? Also I ordered a 14 and 15 sprocket because it was fairly cheap at the site I use. I also ordered a yz250f shifter so that should be sweet

Updates are coming I took \ few pics and got the handlebar on, Im hoping those damn a-arms are in the mail today! Guys Im having alot of trouble getting the timing chain on is there something Im missing I have the cam gear on and times properly I just cant fit the chain over it, is there someway to release the tension on the chain to get it slipped over the top? Also I thought I dropped a small piece of wire (thin easily breakable wire) into the chain slot area I had to take apart the head again and found nothing hopefully it fell somewhere and will not bounce around I honesly dont think it will be an issue but F&ck putting it back together is harder then taking it apart lol it would seem I just want to get the damn thing going its June already!! Anyways I decided to just use a gasket instead of the silicon as I couldn't find anything really suitable and I dont want to have an oil leak problem like before there lol. Ill post some pics in a bit

Did you take the cam chain tensioner off before you attempted to install the chain? It won't go together with that tensioner in place...

Damn its been a while but everything is finished here are some final pictures I just took yesterday (weather was awsome made for a little fun with the warrior.

NOVEMBER09037.jpg

NOVEMBER09040.jpg

NOVEMBER09047.jpg

NOVEMBER09048.jpg

NOVEMBER09051.jpg

NOVEMBER09057.jpg

NOVEMBER09053.jpg

NOVEMBER09062.jpg

To finish off my first little rebuild ever is a nice picture with the natural effects of the sun setting!

NOVEMBER09063.jpg

Thanks for all the helps guys this forum is great!!

Nice build man. Great lookin shocks! hehehe. You ended up going with the Armadillos? How you like them? Did you have to get the shocks re-valved? Noticeable power increase? Slap on a bumper (perhaps trash or sell the DG nerfs? Just was never a fan, think they look cheap) clean it and enter QTOM. Good stuff man!

deadlastracing said:
Nice build man. Great lookin shocks! hehehe. You ended up going with the Armadillos? How you like them? Did you have to get the shocks re-valved? Noticeable power increase? Slap on a bumper (perhaps trash or sell the DG nerfs? Just was never a fan, think they look cheap) clean it and enter QTOM. Good stuff man!

Hey man ya thanks the shocks are great and they are nice and soft compared to the stockers that were there. The Armadillos are nice quality arms, seems like they are well made and fully adjustable (camber, toe-in/out etc.) They are powdercoated as well so no chips yet. I did send the shocks away for revalving they were a bit too soft for my weight lol (not much just a few llbs I think you said they were good for 175 and Im about 193) It needs a bumper Im wondering what bumber should I throw on there? Im not so sure I like the DG's anymore and it needs a good washing, suprisingly the plastic looks nice in the pictures its a bit rougher then meets the eye but its no show queen I will clean it up though and enter. The high compression it has now even though minimal is great, alot zippier and Im geared at 15/40 (2 teeth up front same back) and it still accelerates hard etc. The quad is much quicker out of the hole and no constant shifting. Ill get some updated pics once its clean and has a bumper etc. Im also going to spend more time in general on this forum!

I just read the four pages and it makes me wanna just start tearing things apart. I wish more rich people would start buying high rise condos so i could start building them again. Lack of work and money is killin my ambitions!! But sweet build

Back