My helmet Saved my life!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorxcr1

Reaction score
Went riding Sunday and ended up being ambulanced out around 4pm. Luckily I had a helmet on and it did its job. I was basically told that i would be dead if i had not worn it!

Pleaseeeee everyone, wear a helmet. if your doing a wheelie or trying to hydroplane something like me, pleaseeeee wear one!! :-[

Ended up with a concussion, contrusion, blood line in my eye, a massive gash in my right arm, a "split" shoulder which i'm now in a sling for, bruised jaw, and bruises all over along with the fact that my parents are saying i'm done with riding.

I had a hell of a weekend ???

lower circled part is crack, top shows one of the many chunks taken out

accident4paintxj6.jpg

accident2bb1.jpg

accidentod1.jpg

I have yet to see what my bike looks like. all i know is that it was 130 bucks to get it out of the impound.

Ride Smart, and RIDE SAFE!!!

-ant

Ouch!!!

Bet you are sore today. Helmet did its job. It took the hit, cracked and dispersed the impact instead of your wig.

$130 to get it out of impound? Another story behind that one?

Back in the 80's we would often ride without helmets even at Little Sahara, as most people did back then. One of our buddies ended up eating a fence and happened to have on a helmet. Saved his life, so we all went out and got helmets.
The very next trip, I rolled down one of the taller dunes and the bike went over me twice. Stood up a little sore but not bad. My buddies came up to me and just stared at me. My helmet was actually still smoking. When the quad went over me the back tire hit my helmet still spinnig, almost burnig a hole clean through it. I have kept that helmet for over 20 years to show people. Wife finally made me throw it out last year.

Damn, glad your OK. I've gone down on the street and had my helmet pretty screwed up. But never cracked. How fast were you going?

dude you are lucky.........stay safe evreybody, make sure you buckle those helmets

Not Tying your Chin strap is just like using a condom with a hole in it.. its just not safe..

my helmet has saved me once and it was this summer. slight mistake on a hill climb and the next thing i knew i was rolling out of the way of my warrior. my head slammed off of a giant rock. i stood up as soon as i stopped rolling and everything was blury and i didnt know what happened. without the helmet i probably would have been knocked out or maybe dead.

Good to hear your OK. Reminds me I need to start wearing my chest protector more(I allways wear my helmet). I'm not someone who likes government regulation too much but helmet laws on quads is something I could agree with.

i think the helmets are col ****, i like em, the onlyt time i dont buckle is when im just going 5 feet just putting, any other time i wear it even if im not on the quad and i will be shortly

damn bro, u one lucky ass bastard to get what u got. **** coulda been a lot worse!!! i hope u learned your lesson cuz once your dead there ain't no comin back! i gotta see what happened to the quad. anywayz, peace bro and feel better.

Reminds me I need to start wearing my chest protector more(I allways wear my helmet).

ChestProtector's will not help you in any way if you take a fall. A chest protector is only made to deflect rock's, dirt or mud from hitting you in the chest or stomach.

If you take a fall with a Chest Protector it will crack or bend, if it crack's, well i feel for ya cause over 80% of the time it will stick ya.

However they do make an UnderProtector that will protect your chest, ribs, stomach & back when you take a fall.

Warriorxcr1, glad your alright dude.

ChestProtector's will not help you in any way if you take a fall. A chest protector is only made to deflect rock's, dirt or mud from hitting you in the chest or stomach.

I'm going to have to disagree with part of your statement. Saying that it will not help in any way seems a little closed minded to me. what about stopping some road/dirt rash, keeping quite a few small stones out of the wound (which can be quite painful to pull out).

I personally have had my chest protector help me in 2 crashes, one was landing on some rocks mostly babyheads, those who mtn bike should know what I'm talking about (rocks sunk into the ground w/ atleast a fist sized amount of surface area showing), and I also high sided my warrior and basically took a glancing blow from a stump, I was on my way down, and it hit the chest protector as I was comming down towards it (not directly onto it, but off centered, which is why I slid/bounced off of it.)

Wearing my chest protector stopped the rocks from giving me additional bruising, and any significant damage to my ribs. And when it came to the stump, it stopped it from gouging into my chest, and instead let me slide down the coerner/side of the stump.

Though I will agree that they are generally made to be used as a heavy duty roost deflector. And consequently, that is the normal wear and tear that they see under normal circumstances.

On top of that I don't see it as being a good idea to plant the seed in some kid head that they don't do anything for anyone. Just because they may not have served any purpose other then a roost guard to you, doesn't mean they haven't and/or won't help others if a situation arises.
~Bill
p.s. Not trying to burn you, just showing thay they have helped some people (namely, me), and I still wear mine everytime I ride because of the times it has helped.

It really reside's on what type of ChestProtector it is. Mostly all the newer protector's are made of clear lexan or plexiglass which isnt that sturdy and will break after a certain amount of pressure or a hard enough gravel being spun into it.

Thus the reason for the UnderProtector. The UnderProtector was/is made to go under your chest protector, mostly for stunt rider's, the reason for it is that it will take alot of impact and not do that much damage between the waiste area up to the neck area.

imtranished, i completely understand what your saying, but noob's and most kid's will more than likely get the idea that a chest protector is made to completely protect what it cover's on your body. Even i thought that befor i started racing and bought one, but after some thought and reading the Warning Label, i understood what the differenace is between Chest and Under Protector's.

If you think your gonna crash your quad, more than likely you will end up crashing it and pretty bad at most time's. If you have 110% confidence that your not gonna crash, well your gonna crash even harder.

But seriously, if you want to protect the area's that a chest protector cover's, i suggest getting an Under Protector to go along with your chest protector even though you dont haft to wear both, you can wear the under protector by it's self. O'Neal has them (Guardian Under Protector) for $64.99

I'n the long run, it'd be well worth the money.

The one I went with is injection molded polyethylene plastic, a little more sturdy over the usual lexan design ones. I know the ones you're talking about. And I do believe they would help out quite a bit. Though I don't think I would trust Just a foam Roost protector alone, including the "Guardian Under Protector" from O'Neal http://www.motoworldracing.com/oneal-06-guardian-protector.html

Just trying to keep kids out there from thinking chest protectors don't do anything at all, is all.
~Bill

p.s. If your looking to buy a chest protector, look for one that's Polyethylene, over lexan, or other more brittle materials, Especially if you plan to ride in the winter. Or want it to last for more then one small wreck.

Sounds like jon is trying to advertise that body armor a bit too much. And yes this is old, but kreed has been here a while, so I'm sure he had a reason.

It really reside's on what type of ChestProtector it is. Mostly all the newer protector's are made of clear lexan or plexiglass which isnt that sturdy and will break after a certain amount of pressure or a hard enough gravel being spun into it.

Thus the reason for the UnderProtector. The UnderProtector was/is made to go under your chest protector, mostly for stunt rider's, the reason for it is that it will take alot of impact and not do that much damage between the waiste area up to the neck area.

imtranished, i completely understand what your saying, but noob's and most kid's will more than likely get the idea that a chest protector is made to completely protect what it cover's on your body. Even i thought that befor i started racing and bought one, but after some thought and reading the Warning Label, i understood what the differenace is between Chest and Under Protector's.

If you think your gonna crash your quad, more than likely you will end up crashing it and pretty bad at most time's. If you have 110% confidence that your not gonna crash, well your gonna crash even harder.

But seriously, if you want to protect the area's that a chest protector cover's, i suggest getting an Under Protector to go along with your chest protector even though you dont haft to wear both, you can wear the under protector by it's self. O'Neal has them (Guardian Under Protector) for $64.99

I'n the long run, it'd be well worth the money.

hmmmm 64$ or my life.... dude any saftey gear is worth the money... i agree the under protector is worth investing in :)

Latest posts

Back