My buddy just dropped off some power

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liftedhigh

Reaction score
I gave my z400 head to my buddy to port a couple weeks ago. He ported the intake and exhaust and did a 5 angle valve job. Stock valves were still good so I stuck with them for now. Once I get this z400 put together the warrior head will be going to him next.
406382_10151507932723748_72214909_n.jpg

578476_10151507932913748_404405033_n.jpg

It's not so much hard, as it is LOTS of patient, and LOTS of practice. There are several things to watch out for. You don't want to damage valve seats, go to fast, remove too much material at one time, etc...

^ takes lots of skill and know how. Practice on a junk head first. Plenty of info on the net.

If you don't know what your doing don't try to port a head. My buddy has been doing it for decades and use to work for TEA designing head profiles.

I had heard lots of mixed answers some say it is extremely easy and others say take it to a professional. I would obviously rather save money but I don't want to risk my head. I have worked around engines since I was 7 so I know my way around but not with any custom work to them. However I am good with metal work and wood working. I'm just not overly confident in my skills, I usually manage to do it right or pick up on something quickly though.

It is best to practice on junk heads. I have a set of old power pack chevy heads off a 283 that I intend to practice on. I also have a set smog heads on a 327 that I can use, too. There are lots of good article on porting. I found one from either Chevy Perf, Hot Rod Mag, or some magazine along those lines. They did a "first timer" porting write-up. Was very good. Especially since the person who wrote the article had not done if before, so you got a very good opinion from a newbie. They consulted with a very seasoned machinist, and had him "look over their shoulder" when they did it. I just, basically, ported the intake manifold I made for my stroker. So I used what I learned from that when doing it. Really helped. Another thing to remember, these heads are aluminum. MUCH softer then steel, which means way easier to **** up, and far less forgiving.

The problem with porting heads is it's not just taking a bunch of metal out and making it bigger. You take too much out and you will hurt flow and performance. Take to much out in parts of turns and it will make less power then a stock head. You have to know what your doing. An amateur should only gasket match and that's it, don't get near the radius or bowl.

I have been building engines for 20 years and still would not attempt to port a head.

Last edited:
I'll probably take it to a shop then, maybe give it a shot on my mini bike engine first.

wish i could get some head work done to my Z. maybe some porting and some WEB cams for it.

imo though, you should have put in some new valves while your in there. an awesome kit for these bikes though is the DRZe topend kit. single lair gasket, dual valve springs, etc will wake these bikes up.

The problem with porting heads is it's not just taking a bunch of metal out and making it bigger. You take too much out and you will hurt flow and performance. Take to much out in parts of turns and it will make less power then a stock head. You have to know what your doing. An amateur should only gasket match and that's it, don't get near the radius or bowl.

I have been building engines for 20 years and still would not attempt to port a head.

Damn straight!!! People think it is just about "hogging out" the port and calling it a day. Big no no.

wish i could get some head work done to my Z. maybe some porting and some WEB cams for it.

imo though, you should have put in some new valves while your in there. an awesome kit for these bikes though is the DRZe topend kit. single lair gasket, dual valve springs, etc will wake these bikes up.
Thought about it but still waiting on tax returns. I'll probably upgrade then. My buddy does this work for free for me so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to change later.

I'd just wait for the tax return before putting the head on. Saves time, aggrivation, and materials.

Yeah but I want to get the 400 up and running so I can take the head off the warrior and drop it off.

Yeah but I want to get the 400 up and running so I can take the head off the warrior and drop it off.

Man that **** looks purdy you buddy could be swamped with work just from here. Is he open to it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

You should man. For the right price I might give him a shot on mine. Is he professional? Or just on the side guy? He looks like he did a real good job on your head.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Back