Motorcycle Riders

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree that a "small" 600 is anywhere remotely near slow. Most inline 4 sportbikes start coming into the power at around 7000rpm, and will rev to somewhere in the 14-15K range. The difference between a 600 and a 1000 is a few TENTHS of a second acceleration and a couple MPH up top. Hell, when the R6 came out it turned in faster lap times than the R1. A modern 600 is nothing to play around with if you don' t know how to ride, it will kill you dead in no time. Just my .02....

Dont be fooled by magazine numbers or any other BS out there (most mags use 'corrected' numbers, which NEVER reflect real world), in a straight-line constest, the 600's will lose easily to a 1000+.

The 600's will only turn faster lap times on some tracks. For example, at Buttonwillow - its a tight technical track, liter bikes simply cant use all that extra power, and that power becomes a detriment because its a little harder to control.

However, at say Thunderhill, liter bikes own. Its a little looser, and has a LONG straight, the 600's get left behind easily.

I've seen some funny ass **** at track days though....

New GSX-R1000 - $11,000

Track & Safety Gear - $2000

Track day - $250

Being stuck in the 'C' Group all day and getting owned by a GIRL on a 1992 Katana 600 - PRICELESS.

True story.... lol

Funny thing is how I was talking **** about inline fours and torque lacking and what not, and now I'm leaning towards an FZ6. Sat on one and fell in love, and the dealer was willing to make me a sweet deal; $6,700 out the door. Might be getting one in the next few weeks, just gotta get time off work.

I don't read magazines so that's not where I get my info from...lol. I've ridden bikes for years, and while I haven't owned one in a few years I don't see them having changed all THAT much. That's kind of a joke in itself since they're constantly changing and getting better, but I meant that comparison of the 600s to the liter bikes. In a straight line race sure the 1000 is going to win. My point was that the acceleration is still only tenths of a second different until you get up in speed. At that point the liter bikes will still be pulling HARD while the 600s start dying out. And my comparing lap times was just a way to show that the "little" 600s can and will run every bit as quick as the 1000s in the right situations. I agree though, it depends on the track. I agree 100% that none of these bikes are a good beginners bike, which was also kind of the point I was getting at above. You can buy a used Katana for next to nothing, which while generally considered a turd in the sportbike world, it's perfect to learn on. If you don't mind me asking what website do you run? I've actually been thinking of picking up a new bike for next summer since I got divorced and don't have to hear it from the wife anymore..lol.

Bought a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 and absolutely love it! For as much **** as I talked about inline fours, I feel greatly humbled now. This thing is awesome and has more power than I really need.

Back