Motor swap!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistitracing

Reaction score
Okay, a buddy of mine at work picked up an 04' Warrior today, but the motor is junk and it would be cheaper to buy a new one. He wants a lot of power, but to keep some rideability at the same time. Also, reliability would be nice lol. Any suggestions on motors? I can do a custom job to make just about any motor out there fit, but I'm looking for something good. I may just by another 350 motor and just deck it out with everything I can come up with. He's looking at staying under 2 grand, but he says he could go a little bit over.

YZ 490 had serious ping issues & the early ones pre '87 were only 4 speed. If you wanna do a big Yamaha smoker it's gotta be 465! Don't let the few extra cc's the 490 has fool ya, the 465 is the true bad boy. For some reason I'm gonna lean 4 stroke on this one, rideability, reliability a smoker is not, imo. Yep, they're Badass & if you just want somethin mean as Hell then the 465 is the way to go, otherwise, I kinda like the 426 or even a yfz450.
Simplicity wise, the YFM engine built to the hilt would be the way to go & you still have reverse.

yeah woya ..question is does your friend want to retain the reverse? it is quite handy you know..

I have a good crank assembly if it needs one

I say a 2 stroke swap..
The YZ490 did have some head issues, but there easily solved with some minor head work..

I'm doing a IT490 swap in my quad right now, and haven't spent much. I'm only into it for about $500, and have all the parts I need to make it run.
Even looking at a liquid cooled YZ250 wouldn't be bad either.. They make good power, and have a strong aftermarket following.. Mounting the rad on a Warrior isn't a big deal. It's been done before.

Last edited:
What you should find is an old street bike motor like a 450 or a 500.Nothing to big tho. My buddy's dad put a honda 450lovers street bike motor on a z400. He could hit 100mph easily.

I'd say stick with the yfm engine. You can do a stroker and make some great power, and be on the cheap side. You wont have to shoe horn another engine in the chassis either. Unless you like a challange that is. The yfm engine has proven itself to be bullet proof, and despite what people think about them, they can make really good power. Do a stroker, custom air box, modern 38mm atleast carb, and a GOOD exhaust and you'll be surpised.

Back