motor spins backwards?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomber315

Reaction score
alright guys so i just got my new starter clutch in and put it on...

when i put a ratchet on the crank bolt the motor snins both ways.... i have had people tell me that it isnt supposed to spin backwards but i never completely believed them.... should the crank be able to spin both ways or should the oneway truely stop it form going backwards?

yeah i think it should but my dealer had me almost convinced it wasnt supposed to... thanks for the answer...

it is supposed to do that. nothing to worry about. think of it this way.. say youre riding up a hill, you stall out, you roll back down the hill without pulling in the clutch... same idea

In the service book it says to rock the crank back and forth to remove any slack from the cam chain while rebuilding the top end so yes it can, I wouldn't keep spinning it backwards though.

yes any engine will spin back or forward. It is ok to spin it either way. Doesn't hurt anything. One way clutch or spraque will lock up one way and spin freely the other. This is how the starter drive works on almost every fourwheeler.

jasonp said:
One way clutch or spraque will lock up one way and spin freely the other. This is how the starter drive works on almost every fourwheeler.
i think MOST have the bendix style starters... but im sure there are some with this dumb design too..

Every quad i've ever worked on (quite a few) used a one way bearing just like this. New stuff, old stuff, even full size street motorcycles use the starter clutch. I'm not saying that nothing uses an automotive style starter system, but my experiece shows that the majority of them don't. It's really not a bad design, it's just a combination of yamaha using too weak of one, the warrior not having any kind of auto decompression, and people abusing the one ways by doing things like trailering the quad in gear. It's just sort of a yamaha thing that they're designed weak, even 15 years later when the raptor 660 came out the starter clutches were a problem area.

bomber315 said:
jasonp said:
One way clutch or spraque will lock up one way and spin freely the other. This is how the starter drive works on almost every fourwheeler.
i think MOST have the bendix style starters... but im sure there are some with this dumb design too..

Acutally I used to work at a Dealership as a mechanic which carried a major manufacture and we worked all sorts of atv's... etc. Most all ATV's I've seen like more then 75 percent had a one way style off the flywheel like you see in a your warrior.
Warrior isn't the only one with problems or I should say that wear out. Not really a dumb design if you ask me since it is used so much. Warrior is pretty bullet proof.

Latest posts

Back