Motor No Start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much play? Need to use a feeler gauge and set them to spec.
intake should be .06-.10mm (.00236-.00394in) and the exhaust should be .16-.20mm (.00630-.00787in) from the manual.

Last edited:
Exhaust - .175
Intake - .009

Intake was close to .2 when I checked it. I thought intake was good until I realized 2 plates in the gauge were stuck together. I painted the tappets while I had em off so now I'm waiting for paint to dry, then I'll try to test compression again. Thanks!

adjust them both to the tighter side of the specs iut will have less ticking(valve noise)

I have mine at .006 and .007

I think Gen1Pat runs both his at .004 but he has the S1HC

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Yamahauler! I compression tested after adjusting the valves, and the compression is up about 10psi.
No Throttle - 100psi
WOT - 110psi

I put a little oil in the plug hole and:
No Throttle - 120psi
WOT - 130psi

So.... Does that mean I need to tear the head down and work on the piston?

that is a bit on the low side usually 114 is the lowest according to the book I think it deffinatly time for a top end rebuild possibly just a hone and new rings but you won't know till you get it apart

Definitely need at least a ring job. Now's the time for that high compression piston. LOL

You can try putting a couple of squirts of oil in the hole, reinstall the plug, and see if she'll start. Have you tried pull starting it?

lol, yeah that's what I told my wife earlier. "Well, since I've gotta pull the head I may as well have it bored out a little".

Since I'll be pulling the head, what all would you guys do? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but want to make sure I won't be pulling the head again too soon.

Im sure youve already done whatever you were going to do but when i got mine i did everything to get it to run before i did any magure work to it!! I fixed a electrical short then got it to run and found out the rings were gone ''then'' i pulled the head and jug!!!

Well it's been almost a year. It took several months to get my head back, but finally got the motor bolted back up. Set valves, timing, new plug. Fired on the first try. I really appreciate all the help you guys provided!!! Gonna do some tweaking and breaking in tomorrow.

Back