metal shavings in oil

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boom

Reaction score
a friend gave me his '02 warrior to an oil change and basic service. when i pulled the plug for the oil, that and the filter were full of metal shavings. these arent small shavings like you would have from break-in, they were somewhat large and concerning. they also arent magnetic. the bike other than that runs good and no unusual noises. has anyone seen this and any ideas on what this is from?

i say ride it after the oil change for a couple of minutes and change the oil again and see if its doing it still

Are the shavings in the oil filter on the side of the engine or the metal screen filter that goes in with the plug?

If the shavings are in the paper filter on the side then the oil pump could be severly damaged. The shavings would have to go through the oil pump to get there.

I agree that you should change the oil and run it. Be ready to have to rebuild the motor. My engine had the same shavings in it when the rod bearing went. Basically, the cage failed on the rod bearing and rod wore through one of the thrust washers. The chunks that I saw in the oil were little pieces of thrust washer.

I would be worried if I didn't have a couple shavings in my oil.
Most of it comes from -gear mesh- of the tranny...or more specifically, the times you blow a shift and grind 'em.

yea I thought it was normal if there was some small metalic pieces in your oil filter... I had a little very small metal pieces in my filter when i did my last oil change

well check for wear.This happened to me a couple of days ago i changed my oil and found shavings in it.Take your side covers off and look for worn/damaged parts.Remember were the bolts go and also remember that there are 2 dowel pins on each cover.

thanks for your response. i found shavings in the drain plug and filter. i'll start with changing the oil and flush it out. i'm going to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

i dont know, this is the first time i have seen it but the oil looked like its been neglected.

the metal shavings turned out to be a thrust washer. the connecting rod and flywheel wore through untill it was thin and broke away. either not enough clearance between the con rod and flywheel from factory or crap oil.

Latest posts

Back