Mega cycle 252x1

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97warrior_rider

Reaction score
So this is a question pertaining to cam, head clearance, cam gears. So here we go I have a 97 warrior aka the black widow, her lower end is all for the most part stock not stroked or any heavy mods the top end is bored .020 over with a white bros 10.25x1 compression piston, mild ported head polished hd valve springs from what I'm aware stock valves, stock cam gear,upgraded cam chain and as of right now a hot cam stage 1. Now that the background of the mods is out of the way. Here's the question I have already purchased a 252x1 mega cycle cam with the intention of clearancing the head for fitment but that being said would I have to run an upgraded cam gear or would a stock gear on stock timing work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geees what do recommend I have black diamond springs already

Ok I will deff look into them will it run with a stock cam gear

e68c0f070b99f13fecc0cfbdee3a14b8.jpg

Yup that's the one did it really make that much difference bro I'm skeptical At the moment cause I don't want to pull the head again but I know it could be a life or death diff

CWR .450 here, never had to do any learancing. I think that is necessary when you have a decomp motor. I'm also 366 & 12.1:1. I wouldn't recommend the 252x1 with only 10.25:1. These cams have a strong mid and top-end power band. Where do you want your power?

Mid to top end I'm going to be running endurance runs in the desert near the air base

I would love to drop a stroker crank and high comp piston in it with a big bore kit just way out of my range for a while I'm barely getting the bike back together WO-YA I bought her back and she has plenty of issues in the suspension and steering that I ordered parts for and most of the shops want a rediculous amount to bore and work the head over so I'm budget building the bike back up

Yeah, I gotcha. I wouldn't be so concerned about stroke honestly. Pat ran one and ended up going back to stock stroke and seems to be happier. If you are dead set on the 252x1 then you need to Atleast go 366 with the JE 12:1. The cam has enough duration that it's gonna bleed compression off and with only 10.25:1 it's gonna feel like Dog.

I'm not dead set persay just would be nice since I already have it and don't have to spend a grip to install it

Doesn't have to be a "big bore". Just needs to be higher compression. Like James said, 10.25:1 is not enough with that cam. Step up to either the 12:1 JE (you'd have to do the 366 because that's all they have besides standard bore) or get the Wiseco 11:1. The Wiseco is a nice piece, there is one in my Warrior. Running that compared to the JE means it's more pump gas friendly as well. And, I believe they offer it in your bore size. You may only need to run a hone through the cylinder (if you know how) to deglaze it, then put the new piston in there.

Don't have to clearance anything head wise, only the decomp tab on the either pull start models' rockers. Yours doesn't have that. Honestly, no one needs the decomp with this cam because it bleeds off so much cranking compression, you can pullstart it with ease (ask me how I know, lol).

Stock cam gear is fine, but, if you want to adjust the powerband, popping for Mega's expensive ass adjustable cam gear is the only way to do it. Get that, and you can degree in the cam for more retard or more advance. Is it worth it? Eh.... Do I run one, yes. Best if you have a cam degree kit to set it up anyway.

Running Mega's 252x2 cam would work well with the piston you already have. HD valve springs of any brand is a must with any cam, period. Even the Hotcams should really have them. Best to stick with a well known MFG, like Kibblewhite, for the valve springs. Stock valves are fine, and +1 aftermarket intake valve isn't worth it.

Strokers sound cool, but unless you are taking about boring AND stroking to reach or topple 450cc, don't waste your money. Best to have some higher revs and lower gearing, then to have slower revs and taller gearing. A fellow I used to use for machine work once told me, "smaller displacement quads want higher revs to get the tires spinning faster. A dirtbike of the same displacement wants lower revs to it won't spin the rear wheel out from under it." Turned out he was right (as per my experience).

Pat I think I just learned some **** ha ha I appreciate it bro! I was some what understanding till now, but after your explanation Its like we are communicating through video chat ha ha it all clicks now

Last question if I'm running .020 over where does that set my bore like a 83.........

Latest posts

Back