Man are these screws soft!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hdale85

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm working on tearing down my carb. I'm trying to remove the bottom cover to finish stripping it but the screws on this cover and crazy soft! I got one out, the rest aren't coming out and are now partially stripped, one is pretty stripped. I tried several different sized screw drivers and nothing. I don't know what to do now?

Yes they are soft and its dumb as hell for yamaha to use a phillips head on them. Good luck getting them out, and once you do replace them with stainless allen head screws and they will never get stuck again

i had to use needle nose vice grips to grip on some and back em out

UGH! I don't know how I'll get them out.........I think I have some regular vice grips somewhere.... some of them there is literally no space there....I honestly think I may have to drill them out and tap new holes?

Is there any danger to drilling them out? Maybe I'll drill the head off and make a small hole and pound an allen key in there.

Ok nevermind, I had some square drive bits and I pounded it down into a hole I drilled int he head and got them out.

I must say my carb doesn't look very dirty at all........ I'm having doubts that this was my problem.

My screws were crazy soft too, but i went to every hadrdware store around and couldnt find any allen heads that fit it...

i did the same. i drilled them enough to where i could chisle an edge up. then i put the chisle on the edge and hammered them to loosten them up. i got some really nice allen heads from jetsrus then

If you have a Fastenal nearby, they have the correct allen headed size. I only had to replace one of mine, but it any more do it I'll go ahead and do em all.

You can also get a dremal and cut a slot in it and use a flat head screwdriver, but if you get a pair of vise grips on them will work. And make sure your phillips screwdriver fits good in the screw if not it will strip them even easier.

Well carb is back on, I guess I did everything right because it's running awesome now! I have a new spark plug and after I do my oil change and what not I'm going to check to see if it's running lean or rich or just about right.

One thing I was wondering, they have a 147.5 main jet on I believe it was. It's got an aftermarket exhaust so does that sound like about the right size? I forget the make of the exhaust....starts with an S or something. I'll be putting on a Uni filter soon so maybe if it's a bit rich with the 147.5 it'll lean out enough with the filter on it?

145 is stock, they bumped it up when they changed the exhaust. When you change the filter you might need to take it up to a 150, but you wont know until you put the uni on.

Herm, well if I do need to bump it up I think I'll likely have to use the stock one until I can order a jetting kit, would be a couple weeks.

Does 147.5 sound about right for just an aftermarket exhaust though is what I was wondering. Also the clip on the big needle was right in the middle.

Herm, well if I do need to bump it up I think I'll likely have to use the stock one until I can order a jetting kit, would be a couple weeks.

Does 147.5 sound about right for just an aftermarket exhaust though is what I was wondering. Also the clip on the big needle was right in the middle.
stock is smaller then the 147.5 it is a 145, if you have to bump it up next is a 150. And don't waste your money on a jet kit, go to a atv shop and just buy a jet, they are around 4bucks. Also leave the clip on the needle in the middle spot

I don't think it's a supertrapp, something I hadn't heard of before. I'll make sure and take note of what it is as I'm heading over there tonight to work on the brakes and stuff.

Back