loud clicking sound

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
I've developed this loud "popping/clicking" sound that sounds like its coming from my rear dif/axle area.
Its odd because I really notice it on deceleration while going very slow and I don't notice it nearly as often
While accleleration or while I'm traveling with any sort of speed. Are there greasable u-joints on the "shaft drive"
Or is the only lubrication the oil in the rear diff? What oil do ya'll recomend for the rear diff? Any suggestions folks?

the rearend lube is yamalube 80w90 and you may want to replace the universal joints on the driveshaft. i know when mine was going out on my old chevy truck they would pop and make all kinds of noise. let me know how it all works out for you. oh and ebay has the u. joints for much cheaper price wise than the dealer.

If the noise was coming from the rear what are the odds of it being the rear diff gears?

thats a good question.... i however would change the rearend fluid first and check your U joints. to me if your diff was making noise while your letting off the gas that would tell me something has some slop or play in it. i could see it being your gears if you were hard on the throttle and you hear the popping sound. its easy to change the fluids and check the u joints. tearing apart the diff is a whole other ball of wax.

I was thinking back to the last time I rode "about 2 months" and I didn't recall hearing anything out of the norm. Since then I switched my tires/wheels
Out from a set of 25's to a set of 27's. When I pulled my old wheels/tires off I noticed that on one side especially that the cotter pin and main axle nut where
A little loose. I cranked down "pretty hard" on them and put new cotter pins on the nuts. Although the new 27" swamp lites are a little large in size I don't think
"Correct me if I'm wrong" they would have anything to do with this mysterious noise. I'm gonna pull em of tonight, put my 25's back on and see if I can duplicate
The sound. I can't notice any performance/handeling issues however, new mysterious clangs/clunks etc usually aren't a good thing. If anyone has any more ideas
Please chime in. On a side note, I thought at first maybe I had a loose wheel but when I was parked back at the truck on flat level paved ground, I couldn't duplicate
The sound now matter how hard I pulled side to side, sitting on the rack with all my weight.........etc etc etc

you have 27's on a 350 wolverine ?? how does it turn them ?? did you put a lift on or have to trim your fenders ? i have the stock wheels and tires on my bike but looking to go bigger.

Nope, no lift. I didn't have to cut the fenders either. The only minor modification I had to make was to cut the back little "tube" bracket on the heel guard. Then I un bolted the heel/foot guard and pushed it forward about 2 inches/redrilled and bolted her down.
Now, althought this mod was minor and necessary to clear the 27" swamplites I'm not sure I'm all that happy with a 27 on my 350 Wolvy.
It looks good and in 1st/2nd gears it will climb a wall however, I've so far only ridden it at the Oregon dunes with the 27's and was hurting BAD for power.
I'm gonna leave them on a lil longer to make a mud run and see how I like them. I will say this though, the 27" swamplites are grippy as hell and while I was at the
Beach playing around I was climbing stumps and logs/driftwood with the greatest of easy. I'm hoping that I can deal with the power loss and keep em, they r sick looking!

Can you post a picture when you get a free minute ? I just have to see it!!! I bet its SICK looking :)

Well, I do all this posting from my blackberry and I'm not real sure how to attach a pic with it. Send me a private message with your email or cell# and I'll send u some pics.

KK I understand that! I myself use a damn cell phone for my internet. I have a few pics of mine i wanna post but cant :(

i just had the same type of noise on deceleration and when switching from forward to reverse. i soon there after stripped the drive shaft coupler to the rear diff

Back