Lots of Questions - long post

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgm0967

Reaction score
I need opions and input. Here;s the background. Bought a Warrior off a friend with a 400 kit in it.(the ugly) I had several opinions that it runs better than most Warriors. Then I Found one on CL with a pile of parts and it looked good so I bought it (the orange one). The ugly is mostly stock except for engine, the orange is modified but engine mods seem to be exhaust, K&N filter and other non-engine stuff. The ugly is the keeper. My riding is mostly trails but might try to get aggressive once in a while.

Now the questions.

The orange has reversed rear wheels and both leak air. What is the gain of reversed rear wheels and what is involved?

The ugly has a stock exhaust with the rear innerds removed. If I put on the FMF Powrecore 4 will I have to rejet?

How much does the skid plate protect the ATV? The reason I ask is because it seems the rear is still going to get farked when the skid plate runs out.

Tire size - The orange has 22-11-9 rear and 22-7-10 front. The ugly has 20-11-9 rear and 21-7-10 front. While riding Lost Trails which is really rocky, the orange seemed to handle better.

Is there a way to get better shifting? They both seem to have loose linkage.

That's all for now.

Flipped rims give the bike a wider stance. = more stability, and easier to straddle ruts. Get yourself a yz250 direct shifter and ditch the linkage. You won't know if you will need to rejet or not. It all depends on your altitude, and if it was rejetted due to the muffler being gutted. Chances are that you will. You're best to remove the carb and see what jets are in it. The skid is a must for any trail riding, or just riding, imo. Get a nice aftermarket unit, the stocker is crap. The orange bike probably handled better becaus the tire are taller, have more sidewall flex, and more ground clearence for those rocks.

reversed rear wheels give more width, gives more stability
put the powercore on and good filter and rejet
the skidplate is a good idea for rocky terrain; i say replace it when you need to
the orange will have more ride height cause the tires are bigger, probably better tires
yz250f direct shifter/ oil cooling mod to get better shifting.
any more questions? id be happy to answer!

+2 on pat, to add to,

The swingarm skid is to protect the brake rotor and sprocket mostly, the swingarm can take more abuse then you can throw at it, I know because I couldn't brake mine! And if anyone can Break it, thats me!

Thanks for the input. Keeping the skid plate, Need a YZ250 shifter,(pm if you have one and need something). still thinking about the fliped rims but will try the the tires. Looked at the carb and very easy compared to my V4 on which I did jets.I can do that. I'm currently working over 50 hours a week but I'll get slow next month.

I've got the skid plate on, shifter on the way, added nerf bars I thought were sold, but I put em on before I got a response. Now on to the exhaust and K&n filter. As far as I know I have a 400 kit, stock filter and rear end taken out of the exhaust. If I change to a power 4 core slip on(stock header), K&N in an open basket; what you you suggest for carb settings? Something to start with.

photobucket-26511-1351035374913.jpg

Says your elevation is 495'. Thats a hair over 100' then me. Your jetting should be fairly close to mine. Get some jets, both pilot and mains. You'd prob be good with a 50 pilot, and 152.5 or 155 main. You'll have to do some trial and error to get it 100%.

Does float bowl settings come in to the mix or is that just multi carbs.

PS. I doubt carbs stock. But the factory airbox makes me think maybe.

Last edited:
Is the yz250 shifter a simple plug and play mod??

I haven't even tried/got the shifter yet, but yes, you want it. Makes alot of sense. Back to carb jetting. I looked at a carb from the stash that was missing a float bowl. Had a 145 main in which I figured was stock. Checked my Bandit collection of jets and they look excactly the same. The only difference is a washer underneath. Not the the ridge from factory but an extra washer. Is this needed? The starter jets are too small and may need to buy a few of them.

I added the Powercore 4 today and right away could tell the lower end stumbled, so I pulled the airbox cover off and WOW. Lots more mid to upper range power. Effortless wheelies. Now I;ve got two problems. It stumbles or hesitates when you first gun it. I'm guessing I need bigger low end jets. The second problem is the stock airbox and stock filter don't seem to seal well without the lid. I do have a K&N with open basket available but don't see the need. Is there any way to seal the filter connection.

BTW,the shifter showed up today. on to that next.

Back