Lesser known sport tires?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlord

Reaction score
I know maxxis, ITP and kenda all have proven records but I was wondering about some of those other H tread tires that have surfaced lately. I have seen BKT X-Driv's, Achieva speed gear, supergrip stingers and a few others. I was kinda wanting to try out one of these just to say I have different tires. Anyone have any experience with any of these brands?

I have Cheng Shin Shredders, it's something like a cross between the holeshot and razr, but i'm not real impressed with them. My 22" rears are wearing quickly, traction is disappointing, and they have a lot of sidewal flex so they suck for cornering and sliding. The fronts are also wearing out quicker than they should be, although the traction on them is pretty damn good.

The next set of tires I get will be maxxis razr fronts, and kenda klaw rears, i'm staying with the well known brands from now on.

You get what you pay for and the known brands are always better, even the cheaper maxxis and kenda tires will perform and last longer than most unknowns.

I have seen people use Carlisle Turf Tamers. I think carlisle was bought out by ITP though but ITP left carlisle's name on the tires

[quote:thosoorq]I have Cheng Shin Shredders....

Wonder where they're made.... ::)[/quote:thosoorq]

My Holeshot HDs are made in the USA. I try to buy american made if I can, especially if it doesn't cost alot more.

I have seen people use Carlisle Turf Tamers. I think carlisle was bought out by ITP though but ITP left carlisle's name on the tires

Those things arent good for much but roads and hard pack anyway, knobbies are too close to clean and the sidewalls are too felxible .

I have GBC groundbuster II's. I love them, hook up great in all conditions. Rocky Mountain had them on sale for like $35 each a while ago.
33819575244.jpg

Those are the EXACT same tread pattern that I have except I have 22's, i'm glad you're having better luck with yours than I am with mine.

Those GBC's look good...what size are they? 22 or 20?

4ply or 6ply...?

Did you also buy GBC fronts? i'm assuming if yes then you went with 21x7x10??

the ground buster and the shredder are the same tire im pretty sure, somewhere in there they changed the name. I had a pair of shredders and they did pretty well, they were on when i bought my quad but lasted me almost 2 yrs. I did research on all this and ended up going with the kenda klaws and for the 100$ pair of rears they hook like mad and are wearing very well

the tread on those things are nasty....those look like they would work

i was looking at those when i first got the quad but then i started looking at maxxis and itp and then doug was getting rid of his quad so we took his holeshot H-D (rear) which i really like the looks of (i havent ridden them yet) and the XCR fronts

the tread on those things are nasty....those look like they would work

You mean the ground busters/shredders? If you ask me it's a crappy tread pattern, when they're brand new like in that picture they hook up great, but it only takes a few months to wear the little ridges all off, then traction starts getting worse, then when the tread starts getting worn down about halfway like mine the traction really starts to take a dive.

I saw in the latest issue of dirt wheels that 3 of the pro's use BKT's X-Driv tires. They must be at least decent to run them in pro mx races. I know they use whatever company pays most but surely they wouldn't use crap. They are about the same price for me as Klaws but if they don't wear as well I'll just go with the Klaws.

You can't go wrong with razor2's, very pricey but handle excellently at high speeds and in the forest. The only complaint I have about them is the hookup in the very dry 2 to 4" dusty layers on orv routes and at campsites. They lack the forward bite in those dusty spots but will never loose their grip on turns no matter how hard you go into them, and regardless of soil composition!!! I'm thinking about trying out a set of the klaws on my rears when the razor2's go. If you ride through plenty of moist forests go with razor2's. If there is a bunch of sandy dust everywhere on your trails go with a v tread design so they scoop better. Being in MI there is plenty of lake sand to go round, so a v tread is a plus. The razor2's did do very well after it rained though, the performance all round was phenomenal when the soils were a little moist. The I razors really rip it up in the softer soils also, my buddy loves those on his warrior.

Yeah my friend has razr 2's on his kfx 400 but he doesn't like them much cause they have way too much side grip in his opinion. When he does donuts he says it feels like its about to throw him off.

With the warrior though we have more weight on the front, so donuts aren't an issue for us. I can do them with the front wheels planted as long as I'm not on grass and roots.

Well my attempts to get some supergrip stingers have all failed miserably. My second choice was Klaws. So I bought them instead (20's). I just picked them up. I can't wait to see what they can do. I will have to wait until tomorrow because tonight I have to watch Buffalo destroy Philadelphia and go up 3-1 in the series.

Back