Keeping up with the YZF450

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trvsscot

Reaction score
Hey I just bought a Raptor 350 and I am planning on putting a 460 Big Bore Stroker Kit in and i was wondering if that would allow me to keep up with or even beat the stock YZF450. Other than that let me know what your opinions are on the 460 Big Bore Stroker Kit from Cycle Works before I do something dumb.

don't waste the money.... i'm sorry if you don't want to hear it but i'm sure everyone feels the same....

if you want a yfz's power then use money towards that. making the switch was the best idea for me. i don't regret it one bit when i have a 450 under me.

Why spend all that money to make your quad equal to a stock quad??? dosent make sense. Just get the better stock quad! If your puting all those mods into a rappy 350 It cant be that the money wont allow a 450.

I completely agree. You'd have to do everything possible on the 350's engine to even have a chance against a 450, that's at least $2,000 worth of performance mods. Then you would still have the extra weight, poor suspension, and tippy cornering of the rappy. If you want to compete with yfz's, just get something that can beat one in stock form, like a raptor 660, 700, banshee, or one of the many 450's. By the time you were pushing that much power you'd be so unreliable it would be unreal. The engine's internals would be taking 40+ hp, instead of the stock 20 hp, so you'd have a lot of accessive wear on the engine's internals, plus it's air cooled so you'd probably have overheating issues. Unless you have a lot of money to throw around, just wait until you can step up to a bigger bike.

Yes it is alot of money but i just bought the Raptor and i dont wanna be out the 5grand that spent on it. Ill never get that money back. and really the guy im trying to beat well we just mess around in his yard and trail ride.

you will NEVER beat a YFZ - even if you could produce more HP then a stock one they are still MUCH lighter and build RPMs MUCH quicker.

Yes it is alot of money but i just bought the Raptor and i dont wanna be out the 5grand that spent on it. Ill never get that money back. and really the guy im trying to beat well we just mess around in his yard and trail ride.
Ok, so let me get this straight, you want to spend a buttload of money on a raptor just to be able to stay with a yfz?
Even when you can sell the raptor and ue the money from the mods to buy yourself a yfz?

You need to put more consideration into the long run here. Even if you could get enough power to beat a yfz in a drag race, you'd still get completely annhilated when cornering, suspension, or anything else like that comes into play. A 350 modded that hard to even come close to a yfz would not be a trail friendly machine anymore, it would be unreliable and difficult to control. I'm speaking from experience here, when I say that "it's never fast enough". As soon as you make it faster, you will want to make it handle better, and soak up the bumps better so that you can use the new power. Then you can finally get the power to the ground, so then you'll want even more power. Eventually you'll have $5,000 sunk into a machine that was only worth $4,000 to begin with, and probably end up trading it in on a faster bike anyways because it still can't compete with a stock 450. Then, instead of taking a loss of $1,500 or whatever the depreciation on a stock one is, you will lose over $5,000 with all the mods you put on it, plus the depreciation. Don't be stupid.

You need to put more consideration into the long run here. Even if you could get enough power to beat a yfz in a drag race, you'd still get completely annhilated when cornering, suspension, or anything else like that comes into play. A 350 modded that hard to even come close to a yfz would not be a trail friendly machine anymore, it would be unreliable and difficult to control. I'm speaking from experience here, when I say that "it's never fast enough". As soon as you make it faster, you will want to make it handle better, and soak up the bumps better so that you can use the new power. Then you can finally get the power to the ground, so then you'll want even more power. Eventually you'll have $5,000 sunk into a machine that was only worth $4,000 to begin with, and probably end up trading it in on a faster bike anyways because it still can't compete with a stock 450. Then, instead of taking a loss of $1,500 or whatever the depreciation on a stock one is, you will lose over $5,000 with all the mods you put on it, plus the depreciation. Don't be stupid.

isnt that what you did to your warrior??and how all that money you spent and you can Only smoke a piped 400??

Yes, but I never set out with a goal to beat a quad purpose-built for racing. This is why I said "i'm speaking from experience", because once I started modding my warrior it turned into a money pit real quick.

I have to agree with eveyone here. If its even possible to get it close power wise its going to be very unreliable and you will need to help it out cooling some how.

Like others said even if you get the power up it still not going to handle near as well. I always thought i hit the trails pretty hard on my warrior but it is amazing how much faster I go know on my 700.

I was at a point of doing motor work on my warrior and decided against it and bought a 700 and couldnt be happier.

Rather than heavy motor mods you can always do a nos upgrade for the hills and such. You will never beat the 450's in all around performance though.

Rather than heavy motor mods you can always do a nos upgrade for the hills and such. You will never beat the 450's in all around performance though.

then he would have to upgrade his chassie,becuse his frame wouldnt be able to contol all the power of a 20hp shot.and plus if he was in to hill he would have to egt a real long swingarm.i know that nos for a quad starts out at 800.00 a peice,and 800.00 is a little expensive for a 1 time deal,plus the swing are would be up there to,maybe around 300,500 bucks

[quote:q8g7xkxw]Rather than heavy motor mods you can always do a nos upgrade for the hills and such. You will never beat the 450's in all around performance though.

then he would have to upgrade his chassie,becuse his frame wouldnt be able to contol all the power of a 20hp shot.and plus if he was in to hill he would have to egt a real long swingarm.i know that nos for a quad starts out at 800.00 a peice,and 800.00 is a little expensive for a 1 time deal,plus the swing are would be up there to,maybe around 300,500 bucks[/quote:q8g7xkxw]

You wouldnt need a swingarm for a warrior first off. The front end of it is heavy enough where if you were standing with your weight on the front you would be just fine.

Second off a NX nitrous kit can be had for around $450-500.00; even though this may seem expensive I want to see anyone spend 500$ on the warrior motor and get the amount of HP out of it that can be had with nitrous. When dealing with a dollar vs. HP figure NOX is the cheaper choice. It is also not a one time deal; you can get LOTS of runs off a small bottle of nawwwzz on an ATV.

Third and last but not least a 20HP shot doesnt mean u get 20 HP... In a real world scenario you can expect to get about 12-14 HP from a "20 shot" of nitrous. The frame/swingwarm/drive system can def handle an additional 14 HP...

doug, can the stock 350 motor handle a 20 shot though? wouldnt you have o upgrade a few thing?

i wouldn't waist my money or time. just get a 450. not only will it not be as fast as a 450, it will also be a lot less reliable boring it out that big!!!!

Back