Just got back from Hatfield-McCoy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gen1Pat

Reaction score
Just got back a few hours ago. Had the best trail ride ever! Been riding for 14 years and this was by far the most fun I've had. We rode the Buffalo Mountain Trail system, and according to the odometer on the Sportsman 850 that was with us, we rode a total of 210 miles! Of those miles, 160 were on the trails and 50 on the black top(going for gas and going to trail heads). Stuck to mostly green and blue trails, because we had 2 novice riders with us. But, they were still fun, and challanging for a seasoned rider. I got cought up with hill climbs at what we were told was the "play ground" and forgot about going off and giving the black and black/red trails a go. Took the warrior up 3 different hills about 120-130ft tall, the 1st had a decent running start, the 2nd had no accel room, and the 3rd was the same as the 2nd but with loose shalley footing and a turn half way up.

My uncle and I took the 1st hill in 3rd gear, he had to feahter the clutch on his 400ex, my wardog just ate it up. Pinned the throttle and went right up without feathering the clutch or downshifting. Lots of geat vista's out there, and lots of trails. The trails were in good condition except for a tree that JUST came down across a trail. It wouldn't even had woth mentioning, except it was on across the trail on an angle, was muddy, the trail went down hill, and there was an 80ft (atleast) cluff on the right side of it. We had to lift the quads over it, all the while parts of the trail were falling down the cliff, making the trail narrower. I was able to ride my little cousin's Mojave and my dad's trx300 4x4 over it, and my uncle managed to get over it on his bike and my other cousin's 300ex, but that was hairy. Ofcourse, the BRAND NEW Polaris Sportsman was ridden over, because there was no way we were going to lift it over that damn log. What made matters worse, was not only did we have to get our bikes over it, we had to help nearly a dozen other riders over it, too. One idiot on a dirtbike didn't listen to our shouts and hand signals to NOT go over it, and he nearly went over the cliff when the bike came down over the log.

Other than that the trails were awesome and well kept. We are already talking about going back again this September(ish) and riding the Rock House trail system.

And, for those of us that love mud, there was plenty! I lead our group the whole way, and misjudged the far right side of a BIG mud hole, as a little pothole to ride through, and instead it was a straight 2ft drop off! I couldn't stop in time, which would have made me slam into the solid ground on the other side, so I decided to attempt jumping off of it and into the mud. I got off the ledge only to face plant my warrior into the mud, stopping the bike and it's engine dead. Good thing I have those 22" carlisle strykers on the back, because I started her back up and she trucked right out of that crap. I think I ruined the big Polaris' day because he didn't get to push me through, lol.

Last edited:
I only have a few pics of the vista's, none of the quads or trails. I'm not the type to stop and take pics, I'm there to ride not play camera man, lol. I think my uncle has vid of me going up a couple of those hills, will have to check with him.

sounds like a blast genpat! glad you had fun! what gear setup you running on the war dog?!

I WILL have a gopro for our next trip. I'm running 13/38 gearing with the 22x11-9 stock tires. But, I built my engine with roughly 13 more horsepower over stock.

When you do get to go, you WONT be dissapointed. The hill climbs were fun. My hands were actually shaking from the adrenaline after the 1st run. There was one trail entrance at a BIG 6 way intersection, that was pretty steep, with 3 steps in it, and every step had some sort of a big f'n rock in it, so you had to pick your path with a quad. I blasted up that, and it was pretty hairy because you had to let off the throttle between the steps to pick your line. I will say this... BRING SKID PLATES!

That puts ya around 30~ I should be close to ya man. I wish we could get together & do a lil riding & lie tellin, lol!

We will dude. Just have to pick a weekend. I'd like to run it against another modded warrior, because my friends only has a wiseco and dg steel slipon. I haven't gotten to run against it yet, but she scoots pretty damn well.

glad you finally got some good riding in Gen! you sure did a hell of a lot of miles wow how many tanks of gas did she use?
I'm going in the morning to pick up a 01 se warrior trading my snowblower for it and they are giving me $200 cash also

Hatfield McCoy is by far the best system to ride.

Me and my fam rode The RockHoue system last fathers day weekend. It was a blast! I highly suggest everyone with a quad or bike go!

I took a ton of pics and video but never got around to upload them. I'll have to get a youtube vid together on of these days.

The Rockhouse system is the next one we are going to do. Going to probably go out there Labor Day. Hopefully my uncle, cousins, and my uncles brother in-law can make it again. Bit of a hike for them to come down from Jersey 2 times in a few months. Gunna try to get my friend, his dad, and another friend of ours to go with us atleast. My pop and I are going to get helmet talkies before we go, again. I always end up in the lead because I'm the ONLY one that can navigate and understand a map. My dad is always in the back where he likes to be, so he can tell me if someone is in trouble so I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder.

If you guys plan on staying somewhere, I highly suggest the Millers Cabins in Gilbert. VERY nice and the owners are awesome. They have a big cabin and a smaller one.

Will look into that. Have to see how many of us are going to go. If it is only going to be my dad and I we may just get a small cabin.

If the Miller's are full when you want to come, there is also: Big Bear lodging, the Devil Anse trail houses, Abb's Inn, and Twin Hollow Campground (camping and cabins). They are all in town, nice, and friendly owners.

Last edited:
Yea, saw them, too. Lol. Looks like it will be the same 6 of us we had this past weekend. Still trying to get a few more of ur friends from around here to go. If everyone is on board there will be 12 of us. But, I'm thinking it will be more like 8. Hoping to get a head count tonight so I can get an accurate price on lodging.

Do-Drop inn is fine; real nice people. Be careful if pulling a big trailer, as the last few miles for you will be 1 lane. There is not an official "trail head" in Browning Fork, but you can head up the holler about a mile from the inn and the road turns to dirt. You can connect in to the trail there, or you can always come down the hardtop to town and go up.

@hatfeild44 - Nest time I head out that way, we have to go out for a cruse, I bet you know the place. Lucky SOB living right there at all times!

Back