Jetting issues 03 Wolvy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13072

Reaction score
I have an 03 Wolvy, started out replacing stock 141.3 main jet w/ a stage 1 dyno #144main jet, and replaced the needle jet with the one that came in the kit, all is well. I rode it for a season like this running great. Then, this winter i decided to make a custom snorkel kit out of 1 1/2" pvc running off of my stock air box via a PVC 90, hose clamped into the cut down stock air horn/intake. idle was low and irrattic, sometimes stalled. i covered up part of the snork intake w/ my hand idle came up and evened out (running to lean). so i installed the biggest jet in my kit the DJ 150, still low and irrattic idle. i adj the air/fuel screw almost all the way out, runs a little better, but when i stab the throttle from idle it had a little hesitation, mid is ok, top end sounds and feels like it it hitting a limiter. Any ideas guys? I'm thinking i need to go up to a 160 main.??
If it makes it easier/ faster you can call me @ 907-227-8873 Matt
It takes me for ever to type this much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 03 Wolvy, started out replacing stock 141.3 main jet w/ a stage 1 dyno 144, alls well. then i made a custom snorkel kit out of 1 1/2" pvc, idle was low and irratic, sometimes stalled. i covered up part of the snork intake w/ my hand idle came up and evened out (running to lean). so i installed the biggest jet in my kit the DJ 150, still low and irratic idle. i adj the air/fuel screw almost all the way out,runs alittle better, but when i stab the throttle from idle it ha a little hesitation, mid is ok, top end sounds and feels like it it hitting a limiter. Any ideas guys? I'm thinking i need to go up to a 160 main.??
If it makes it easier/ faster you can call me @ 907-227-8873 Matt
It takes me for ever to type this much.

Whao before you keep jetting. I snorkled mine once and I went 2" pipe off the carb, replacing the airbox. Had the same problems, the system needs an airbox in front of the carb, otherwise the engine deosn't get enough air. I don't know why, don't understand the science... I customed an airbox out of a 1 gallon oil jug, and it was ok after. I suggest an easily removeable/installable snorkle and only use when needed, or install a valve to switch between normal and snorkle.

Sorry, I forgot to include in my first post that my snorkel is running off of my stock air box via a PVC 90, hose clamped into the cut down stock air horn/intake. So, it does have an air box & filter in front of the carb.. Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for the reply. any other ideas?? I edited my first post to make it easier to understand what I did. Again sorry about the confusion.

I found that you have to give it time because alot of people are busy and dont log on here that much. It sucks I know. Besides reading up on past issues not alot of immediate help.

I would say you need need to go up on the main, but I don't have a lot of experience with snorkel'd machines so I can't comment too much.

Yea we're still a relatively small forum, so you can't expect answers right away...patience is the key! :)

I did my bike with 2" pipe. Mine did the same thing. I put a 1 1/2 reducer in the end of my snorkel and it helped. I still need to jet mine up.

The main jet change won't do anything with your idle. The main jet is the top 25% or so of your RPM range. Basically, your main only effects the top end performance.

If you're having an idle issue, try a bigger pilot. If it's mid range, move the needle clip a bit.

Bump the pilot up one size and see if that helps. From there, see how the mid/top performs. I'm thiking a needle adjustment will help with the mid. If you're still getting stumbling up top, then bump up the main.

One thing to note, make sure that mid/top end stumbling isn't do to running too rich.

OK, I'm not having any problems w/ mid range it runs great, just a tiny hesitation off idle when I pin it in 1st gear, get towards top end and it bobble. just for grins I change the main from 150 to a 146, would not stay running unless i restricted some of the air flow from the snorkel intake. put the 150 back in, still need to restrict some air flow, not as much though.

So,
off idle: 1 size up on pilot
top end : bump main up.....

I was running a 144 main, tried a 150, still bobbling top end,...larger still? A 157???? 160????

Update

I have now cut out the 1 1/2" pipe and temporarily installed 2", and installed my 146 main jet, put the needle valve back to the third clip pos.. Did a short test drive, and all seems well so far. Going to do some more testing before I make it more permanent. let ya know how it goes. By the way, nothing any of you said helped, or had anything to do with the problem I was having. It was like you didn't read my first post completely. Anyway, I think I got it figured out. I might even post pics when I'm done.

Thunder products dial-a-jet, ends all jetting issues period.

Latest posts

Back