jetting issue

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
since my wolverine was bored over to a 450 i have only rode it twice before the rear end went out. it had a 160 jet in the card but was spitting and sputtering. now that it is fixed finally, its not burning all the fuel and blowing it out the exhaust. with the 2 inch snorkel and stock air box this carb is kicking my but. does ne one have any ideals as to which jet i should be running. :roll:

What does the plug look like after this?

Sounds like you definitely need to drop down a few sizes. I would try a 150 main jet.

I just bought a utility slip-on for my 450 and they said to use a 140 but I'm not running a snorkel

I would look up your can on HMF's website especially if the snorkel came from HMF too. Or give them a call and they can tell you what they would recommend you do with your can and snorkel combo.

Here's some do's and dont's on snorkels from HMF

http://hmfracing.com/tech-resources/snorkel-dos--donts

If your bike is bored 1mm over it is a 357. Where did you come up with 450? The only way to get a Woly to 450 is the FST 446 stroker kit that bores the bike over 2 or 3mm and uses a offset ground crank that adds 10mm to the stroke. So is your bike bored 1mm over or do you have a 446 stroker kit? I'm trying to get an idea so I advise you which way to go. Also you say that you have a 160 main in it, but is that a 160 Mikuni or a 160 Dynojet jet. It also makes a big difference. There is no way gasoline should be getting thru the motor and out the exhaust. If this is the case then something is messed up in the carb (probably the float). Give me some info here and lets see if we can help you get here going again.

well i guess im off, it was bored .50 over twice whatever that makes it out to b. it was blowing white and black smoke out the exhaust and it wasnt oil cause it has happened too many times. i put a 155 dyno jet in it and no more smoke but it still doesnt seem to run right. sometimes itll just die in gear or not. it runs half way decent but i know it can run a lot better and it is the stock carb on it. maybe its not getting enough air and i need to run a 3" snorkel. what do yal think. when it was bored over the first time i put a 180 dyno jey in and on pavement i could stand it straight up in first and second but would sputter after half throttle. and i havent checked the plug after ridding last weekend, i will and will post how it looks. just when you think you know how to work on your bike something always prooves me wrong. so what do yall think would help my situation? :?:

I think your throwing too much air at it right now if your running a 2" snorkle. The problem is your going to be able to tune it so it runs good at an idle or its going to run good full throttle but nothing in between. Its becasue a 2" snorkle creates such a ram air effect that its hard to tune for that. As that air travels through that snorkle it creates a velosity stack and just picks up velocity as it travels to the airbox. To tune it to run right your going to need to start moving the needle and changing pilot jets to get it right. I'm not saying it can't be done (it can) but its going to be a booger. What about putting an insert in your snorkle to reduce it to 1-1/2" and then trying the 160. Also what is your air/idle mix screw set at?

Latest posts

Back