is a fmf megamax pipe good???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of the exhausts will do really if the price is right. If you want the best out of one than stick to the most preferred around the site. The pros always recommended a White Brothers E series or Pro Circuit for the warrior/rappy motor. The HMF is a good one at a fairly low price also, and the yoshi works great but costs more. I'm sure there are a handful of others that perform just as well. FMF makes some good two stroke exhuasts but I haven't had any experience with their four stroke silencers, only the p.b. header. Only get that header if you want more top end and less bottom end if it's an option you're considering. I would save a little extra and buy the WB or PC silencer if you don't receive any input on here. Check ebay for them too for a little while, you never know when someone will part out for a 450 or something.

I had a Megamax II on my Recon and it was a pain in my ass. I'll never buy another FMF again after that piece of ****. FMF didn't have any kind of way to seal it up to the header, no clamps, the end wasn't slotted to allow a clamp to work, no gaskets or anything. The bolts that hold it all together are stainless, but the nuts inside the can are mild steel, and poorly welded to the inner core. They rust up over time, and when you put some torque on the bolts to break them loose to repack it, all the nuts break off inside. I ended up grinding the heads off almost all 14 bolts holding it together, re-tapping the threads for the end cap and pop riveting the rest of it back together. It wasn't a real good performing or sounding pipe either, about the same as the stocker but louder. It was a heavy thing too, it had to weigh as much as the stock stainless silencer (and we're talking about a utility quad.) It's probably about one notch higher than the old Cobras and RCM DG pipes which isn't saying much for it. The only good thing about it is the tunability it has.

Wait for something a little better or you'll end up buying a second time later. All the names Boxhead dropped are good pipes, as well as Big Gun, Supertrapp, Barker, DMC, and Duncan. just avoid Cobra, no-name stuff like CZR and other ebay only brands, and after my experience I don't have much good to say about FMF. The newer series of DG pipes seem to be on par with the other good brands, just avoid their old RCM (reverse cone megaphone) style pipes.

I've got a FMF Powercore IV,had it for about a year now and no problems yet,knock on wood.
The end is slotted and came with a quality clamp and it seals good.It sounds pretty good not
real loud but I plan on getting the quiet core for around the neighbourhood.Hopefully I won't
have the problems you ran into when it comes time to repack it.
I've got a Cobra that came on my XT 550,I know everyone says they are a POS but it works,
not the best sounding pipe but it's held together with no problems yet.Not a common bike so
I've never run across a decent replacement.

Thanks, ^^^forgot about Big Gun^^^, they also make some good stuff. Alba makes a decent pipe, but everything becomes more of a rip off daily there lmao.

i bought my 99 with the mega max on it... i think its junk. the welds on the core busted so the core constantly rattles out. i repacked it and flared the end to make it fit better which worked for about 3 rides and the core shifted so bad i cant move it.... dont get the mega max pipe.. i ran FMF on my 89 i had and loved it before.. this experience is steering me away from FMF for good

Latest posts

Back