Installing new chain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbuck81KP

Reaction score
I just finished putting new bearings in the carrier. I added new sprockets. So now I am not sure how to install this chain correctly. I have the carrier adjusted all the way forward and was wondering if that is correct. It seems like I have to bring it back some to make the master link fit right. I have never installed a chain before since this is my first sport bike. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

leave it all the way forward, put master in then start turning in ur adjusters in bringing carrier/sprocket toward back until you got about 3/4" play in the chain, tighten your lock nuts down, tighten your 2 bolts that hold carrier check chain again, you should be good to go!

Thanks for the info. I heard also that you should put weight on it before you tighten it. figured I would sit on it and see how much play I have.

Yes it will tighten up more with weight on it. I put a couple bags of sand on mine to weigh it down some when I adjust the chain or replace it.

I got it figured out with a few beers and a little patience. I took her out for a run tonight and wow. Its like a new bike for real. The new bearings plus brand new sprockets and chain was well worth the money and time. I also put a grease fitting on the carrier itself. Why yamaha don't add those is a mystery to me. I hope this chain holds up though I have my doubts. I never heard of Parts unlimited before. Its rated for 8400 lbs of tensile strength so we will see what happens when I decide to launch my bike off a mound.

I also put a grease fitting on the carrier itself. Why yamaha don't add those is a mystery to me.

I never heard of Parts unlimited before.

Yupp, me too. And ther stock shifter design......weird.

Parts unlimited makes good stuff, you'll be fine.

Portage co. I ride on a lot of private land around here with a couple of my die hard riding buds. We like to hit mines and meadows also and are huge atv enthusiasts. I like aggressive riding and putting my skills to the test. I have a lot to learn about sports bikes. I had owned a big bear 400 for years and rode that puppy into oblivion. The warrior I have now is my second one and I love the sheer toughness of them. People are always suprised when I conquer a mud pit or climb a hill leaving a trx450 at the bottom. LOL

Latest posts

Back