Idle surging

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukacola

Reaction score
Today I'm trying out my new tires, turn it on for the first day in several days...

It starts and the idle just surges and the RPMs keep going up. If I click it into gear it goes back to normal and it drives fine. But every time I idle it it just starts surging.

I played with the idle screw, no change, it keeps going up until I either cut it off or put it in gear.

I have a buddy that says spray carb cleaner into the intake with the air filter out and the petcock fuel valve off until it runs dry.

Don't run it off carb cleaner. I'd start by looking over all clamps, boots, and carb related components. Just make sure that everything is in good condition. You had it tipped up to do the tires, right? Could be that something wierd happened carb wise when it was at that angel. Like, sediment entered the carb from the tank.

Well the rear was lifted a couple inches for a day and a half. I don't know. I don't want to have to learn carb pulling and fixing right now! I just want to ride! *yes that makes me sound like a little bitch*

I will have to learn carb stuff eventually.

Well, if it is driving fine, ride it normally and see what happens. May have sucked some **** up into the carb. There is the possibilty that it will clear up on it's own. Seen that many times. What color is the plug afte it idles for ten minutes?

When I first started it today it was fine, then I rode it around the pasture for about 30 minutes. Then checked the idle, it surged again. I'm afraid to let it idle for a long period of time because it revs pretty high during that time. And then it backfires about 2 seconds after I turn the key off. Is that any indication of something wrong? I don't think backfiring is good obviously. It doesn't do that all the time, but lately it has been doing it more often for sure.

A buddy is coming over tomorrow to look at it. We'll see if we can do anything in the morning.

Last edited:
We did the carb spray into the intake small squirt with the fuel valve off until it started to sputter and die. At that point a quick squirt. Did it about 4 times. It's idling good now and no longer surging. Wether this "fix" will hold remains to be seen, but it's ok for now.

Yeah Gen Pat, I had it surging again shortly after posting earlier after a 20 min ride. FML. I will be pulling the plug this weekend to check the color. That should give me some status on whether its running rich or something yes? I'll probably be learning a few things about the carb next week when my buddy has some time to help me out with it.

It's riding fine like I said, just when it's in neutral it's revving way too high.

I'd just pull and clean the carb. Some gunk or something broke loose when you jacked up the rear. Also while I had the carb off I'd pull the petcock and clean the screens to make sure everything is clean and there is good flow. JMO

Ordered the carb kit finally, today it ran fine most of the day except a couple times with the surging. Another thing today was the (I think) float sticking causing gas to leak with the engine off. Ran it hard in some bumpy trails and I think the float went back to normal cuz it stopped leaking.

Always good to have your buddies around to notice when something's a little off.

The problem is back...I've had a new carb, fuel filter in for a week or so. It's even lurching forward while in gear with no throttle input... Yesterday it was fine. I had it garaged until just a bit ago since yesterday. No changes to anything. I don't get it.

i have the same problem and was told to check how the throttle cable was routed. have not been able to give it a good check yet though. let me know if you solve this problem.

How's your valve timing? Sometimes they will "hunt" if valve timing is out, although I doubt that is the prob since it was running good before you installed the new meats. But never hurts to check. Otherwise it just seems like it has to be sucking air somewhere.

Had a little time today to play with it. I think it's def throttle cable related. If I turn hard to the right it's fine and throttle button responds by my touch. As I start to turn it left the throttle opens more and more. I should have my buddy coming over in a couple days to help me figure where the cable is kinked or something.

Probably needs a little fix is all.

Any of this happened to you guys? What did you do?

It was an idle screw adjustment and a tightening of where the throttle cable connects to the handlebar... :FACEPALM:

Took my buddy about 5 minutes to figure out...LOL

Latest posts

Back