I want my first Quad!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkoon

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I'm looking to buy my first Quad! I'm 17 years old and have little experience, the quad will be driven in the country with some forest tracks, etc, essentially: recreational riding. (Oh, and I'll probably drive in the city to go to school, etc, if I can get the license).

For my first quad the alternatives I've thought of are plenty, a few stick out, others don't, but I wanted to ask your opinion:

-Yamaha Warrior / Raptor 350
Warrior used and in good condition, or a brand new Raptor 350. Any of these would be excelent to start... But, the thing is, I'm going to buy a quad once, I won't be switching to a more powerful model in a year or so... and (becouse I'll be riding on very open country, with huge stretches) I think I'll feel a big lack of power on these two as time goes by...

-Yamaha YFZ-450 / Kawasaki KFX-450R
(Not sure if I can say Kawasaki in this forum ;D) These two are pure sports machines! I wonder if they're power is to dangerous for me (I'm not crazy.. but hey...) and if I can not handle this kind of machine...

Yamaha YFM-700R
Many people have suggested this machine for me, saying that its really great for trails and country riding, very comfortable and with enough power to get me out of any mess I get in. But I wonder if this machine has to big of a kick (like the 450s) or if it is really a sports/recreational machine, a machine where I can start learning easy and not crave for more power when I get to a more advanced stage.

So... opinions required! ;D

Thanks guys

P.S- Any other Quad models suggestions will also be accepted ;)

Hi there mate!
Warrior/Raptor350 can be made very powerful just check around here on the forum and u will find.

I did, but I do not live in the US, I don't have the possibility of buying parts like those.

We're talking about completely stock quads at the begining.

Welcome to the site. ;D

The warrior/raptor 350 is a good dependable quad that can be had for a good price. That said you kinda hit the nail on the head and if you look around here you will see many of us have upgraded to a more powerful quad after riding a warrior/raptor.

The 450's just arent for me and I personally dont think they are the best choice unless you spend a good amount of time on a track. That said I have a buddy that has a yfz 450 and he loves it, so alot is personal preference. They do require a little more maintence but not to the extreme that some will tell you.

Im a little biased on the 700 because thats what I bought lol, but Ill say a few things anyway hehe. It is a easy quad to ride even with the power. Its powered down low and has alot of torque and at times feels like its not that fast but then you race and do pretty good. Its a great trail quad and with its soft suspention comes good and bad. The good is you can ride all day on rough trails and it doesnt beat you to death, the bad is if you are a big jumper its not hard to bottom out and needs some suspention help if you want to play on a track much.

When I went to upgrade last year I was looking for a good all around quad, that could do everything well with plenty of power and be comfortable at the same time. I came down to 3 choices that may fit you as well. All 3 are good all around quads.

Raptor 700
Z400/KFX 400
Predator

I ended up with the 700 and am very happy with my purchase.

Good luck on your decision. ;D

I would say the Raptor 700 because you can grow into it if your still growing and there really fast, well not that fast stock but just by some little things they can be made to scream. But you said you cant get much parts.

Well im not much of a 450 man, and i love the warrior/raptor 350. So i would say eather the warrior/rapto 350 but if you want a lot of speed stock just get the 700.

Oh, by the way:

Banshee? Big no-no for a first quad right?

Yeah, they're definitely not a good beginner machine. There's a lot of things they're not particularly good for, like slow riding and woods riding.

^^^hahahahaha i was watching a vid of some guy woods riding a banshee and he was going all slow then he hit the power ban out of nowhere and just slamed into a big ass tree because he couldnt control it. hahahaha it was funny.

Get the 700r or the yfz, you'll be greatly disapointed with a warrior/ raptor after you get your skill up.

i agree with klutch. i love my warrior but i would choose a yfz or a raptor over it anyday.

Like some of the other guys have said, sure i love my Warrior, but for what i've spent to make it fast, i could have had a modded 450.. My issue was my riding partners and type of riding changed after a few months of riding. Originally bought the warrior for fast trail riding and exploring so reverse was a big thing. Now all my riding is either pit or track. I think i've used my reverse twice, and only becuase i was too lazy to get off....

depends if you wanna kill yourself...haha j/k ....... if you are not cocky i would say anything over the raptor 350. just make sure you know wht you are doing before you really start haulin ass on the big quads.....

[quote:pve93j69]pshh warriors all the way. well intill your racing for somthing like money, then you would want somthing with a little more power.
He said he wasnt going to be buying anythign again in over a year....[/quote:pve93j69]

It was a joke.....but i still love my warrior even though it cant keep up on the track.

Back