****, i hate decisions...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06yfm350

Reaction score
well, on out way home from the mx track today, my dad made me a deal. here it goes.

he wants for me to forget all about racing, and trade my raptor in for a 66 grizzly or a 700 kingquad. he says that it is going to be too much money after travelling/repairs from each race/practice.

he told me that i could keep my bike payment the same, at $125 per month, and he would pay the difference on the new 660/700.

this deal may not sound good to you guys, but EVERY trail around here is made for 4x4s, except for in-town. all of my friends(that live near me) have 4x4s, and all of my parents friends have 4x4s.

it sucks for my parents because every weekend that i have a race, or want to go practice (which is atleast a 1 hour drive away), all of their friends are going biking back home, and they miss out on it because of me- therefore my dad wants me to get a 4x4.

well, im stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place.. i know most of you will say keep the raptor, because this is a raptor biased site, but for me it's different, i dont have groomed trails around me, or tracks down the road.

Do what feels right and what will make you more happy, Racing can be fun but also alot of stress, and staying home riding with your friends on a 4x4 will make u miss the track.. So iv got to say go with your gut feeling.. And if you dont like the 4x4 u can always sell it and get a better sport quad

i dont know what to tell you, the track is a blast, but family is family, it sounds like your parents arent going to support you in the sport quad world, butsound like they would gladly buy you new 26 inch mud tires.

i say do whats best for you, if you know you will have more fun ridding the raptor then tell your parents to support your hobbies and interests better, if you want to be sentimental abotu things, get the 4x4.....

I think the ute sounds like the best way to go in your situation. You'll still have lots of fun, it'll just be more mud and technical stuff than going fast. MX is a good way to get hurt too, staying away from it is probably a good life choice anyways.

In the end it's all about what you really love doing, but there's also the possiblity of taking the ute now, then in a few years when you can drive yourself to the track just trade the ute in on a 450 and get back into MX again.

Get a new 450 wolverine!

Lol to that bro. Im going up to my dealership tomorrow afternoon (if all goes well) to look at a new 2006 700 King quad.. EFI :-*

My parents WILL support my racing, but they're not going to bend over and take it like a you know what and buy me suspension and internal motor mods.

I think i am going with the ute so far. Sucks though, i have all of my equipment bought, and my cmrc licence was $110 lol. Just bought new itp baja's and holeshot mxr6's also. oh well. ill post again tomorrow and tell everyone how i made out.

Sounds like a good choice. Really have to agree with YamaRider on this one, go for the 4x4 and spend time with your friends and family. You can still use your gear for riding in the trails, so there's no loss there. Plus, like YamaRider said you could always get back into MX in the future when you can do your own driving and financially support the habit.

Then again, there is that whole hazzard with MX too.

I agree with all of the above.

Didn't someone just come out with a 4x4 Sport Quad??

Thought I read that somewhere. If so, maybe that will work for you(?)

I agree with the others, get the 4x4 and spend some time with your family and friends. When you get old and crusty like me you will appreciate those kind of memories with your family rather than individual time. Plus less windshield time and hell of a lot more riding time if you are close at home.

Your parents would have to give up their weekends to sit on their ass and watch you, you know they would rather be riding with you and their friends. Worrying about that $110 for the license is kinda selfish. With gas being around $3 a gallon they would drop that much in fuel the first weekend hauling you all over the state. Take your dad up on the new king quad and have a blast in the mud.

(Climbs off soap box) Okay done!

would it be possible, to pay off the quad you have and get an older used 4X4? I mean that way you can still do what you want and you can go riding the trails around your house. Or are your parents just tired of the drive?

I say King Quad, but heres something else to consider. Have you seen the Polaris Outlaw? It has IRS like the 4x4's plus it shares the same engine as the Predator. Even though it's 2wd it looks like it would be a helluva lot of fun in the trails. And the upside to it is that you can stick with racing except switch to XC.

would it be possible, to pay off the quad you have and get an older used 4X4? I mean that way you can still do what you want and you can go riding the trails around your house. Or are your parents just tired of the drive?

i think thats a smart idea!!!!!

I'd say go with the grizzly or kingquad. That would be better for riding on the trails you described and it sounds like it would be a lot less of a hassle to go out and ride.

Just picked up my 2006 700 Kingquad EFI.. pictures are in the picture section.

My dad made this deal, so that i wouldn't race. So getting another sport quad was out of the question.

Congrats, Im probably gettin a 4x4 soon even though Im keeping the Raptor. It will be nice to go for a ride without having to shift or get covered in mud.

Latest posts

Back