I bought Yamaha skid plates

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotaz

Reaction score
My dealer promised to match any prices that I find on parts and accessories as long as it's not Ebay, Amazon, etc. Well, I found the Yamaha skid plates on a sketchy site call accessories4bikes.com and showed the parts guys the prices on my phone's browser. Anyway, I'm getting the A-arm skid plates for under $75 instead of $95 and the main underbody skid plate for $120 instead of $155. That discount suddenly made them seem much more affordable considering I saved $55+ since I don't have to pay any shipping as well.

Anyway, ask your dealer if they'll price match if you're buying OEM parts.

I'm pretty excited actually. That will save me at least $60 towards my insurance for the season. I get insurance to cover us hitting someone or them hitting us, as well as for damages that we do for accidents that wreck our rides. I'm paying too much for it, but it's peace of mind that we have while we get used to our machines and the routine.

Im in NY we have to have insurance. Just liability but covers landowners. Regs + ins $65. 1 time getting caught without $215 plus a court date.

AS for the skid plate, bought mine off ebay. $55 for plate and $32 for a arm guard and some shipping. Working great. They still protect against rocks and debris.

Im in NY we have to have insurance. Just liability but covers landowners. Regs + ins $65. 1 time getting caught without $215 plus a court date.

AS for the skid plate, bought mine off ebay. $55 for plate and $32 for a arm guard and some shipping. Working great. They still protect against rocks and debris.

I just came back last night from business in Coudersport, PA where I had to take the Southern Tier Expressway and drop down. There were four wheelers everywhere. And a lot of snowmobiles as well. There were trails for both everywhere I looked.

Weird. So I picked up the skid plates and mounted them. The main plate only has 4 holes that have a threaded hole on the frame to attach to. It does have two saddle things to clamp onto the frame with two of the holes in the plate. But there are several places on the frame to mount the skid plate with no holes in the skid plate, and also two holes in the skid plate with nothing above them on the quad to mount to. I guess it will work, but I'm not impressed with the fitment at all. Oddly, there are two holes in the skid plate that are shown on the Yamaha site as being bolted, but on mine there's nothing even close to that. Whatever.

Hey Robotaz, I told you there was a ton of riding up there when you were considering relocating to PA.

I have the factory plates as well and they are really good.
The two at the very rear of the skid plate were the biggest PIA to get in. Use the hooks to hold the plate up but don't tighten them. Matter a fact don't tighten all of them at all so you have a little play/give as your working your way around. Then I worked on the two right in front of the hooks that are behind or at the front diff then I went to attach the front to the bottom of the bumper. Then I went to the rear most two bolts back by the oil drain hole. I also put a little dab of blue threadlocker on all the bolts just to make sure they didn't work their way out and that worked like a charm!

I assume the package or directions have the Yamaha part numbers on them? It almost doesn't sound like the right plates by your description of where the holes are at.

Drop me a email if you want I could always take a picture of mine and send it to you. My plate is off right now so I could do some maintenance.

Good luck,
Dan

The cheapos I bought were the same but I bolted up 8 2 in front by winch/grab bar , 2 lower down,right by a arms and then the back ones. Then I drilled 2 out and used some other bolts to fasten them(these will of course get mangled) so I used some that took allen wrenches and sockets. There are pics on here somewhere.

here you go: http://www.wolverinecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Robotaz, I told you there was a ton of riding up there when you were considering relocating to PA.

I have the factory plates as well and they are really good.
The two at the very rear of the skid plate were the biggest PIA to get in. Use the hooks to hold the plate up but don't tighten them. Matter a fact don't tighten all of them at all so you have a little play/give as your working your way around. Then I worked on the two right in front of the hooks that are behind or at the front diff then I went to attach the front to the bottom of the bumper. Then I went to the rear most two bolts back by the oil drain hole. I also put a little dab of blue threadlocker on all the bolts just to make sure they didn't work their way out and that worked like a charm!

I assume the package or directions have the Yamaha part numbers on them? It almost doesn't sound like the right plates by your description of where the holes are at.

Drop me a email if you want I could always take a picture of mine and send it to you. My plate is off right now so I could do some maintenance.

Good luck,
Dan

I think I know what the problem is now. I have a 350. The bolts that you say go in between the bumper and the hooks have nothing to bolt to on mine. I'll take a pic later. There is a frame crossmember up in that area that the stock plastic skid plate mounts to, but the new skid plate holes are nowhere even close to those mounting points. I hope four bolts and two hooks hold it on there. I used red threadlocker out of fear the few bolts that I have will not stay in place.

Here you can see (4) bolt holes on the frame, (2) on the skid plate, and (0) that match up.

Wolvypic.jpg

I think I figured it out and it makes sense.

Since you have the 350 there is no front diff and on my 450 there is another brace to support the back of the front diff right where those holes are in your picture and my bracket has the welded nuts on the bracket.

You'll be fine! I would maybe run a zip tie threw the holes and to the frames but on the right one don't zip it around the hose go under it straight to the frame. I had to zip tie my very front holes last year because the previous owner broke off bolts in the nuts that are on the front bumper and the zip ties made it all year and it was fine.

Dan

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it will be OK. The more I ponder it, the more I'm thinking that I will take it to my buddy who can make a plate to bolt to the (4) unused frame nuts from the backside and then bolt the skid plate to that plate. I just don't want to add a bunch of weight in the process. Regardless, I'm sure it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back