How wide is to wide??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flipped my back rims, they are +3 +5 backspacing, so I gained about 4 inches of width on the rear. I also flipped my fronts. I like the look of the wider stance but mine pushes real bad in turns too. It made for quite the experience the first time I took it out after flipping them. I am kind of poor and mine is a first gen so I am limited in what I can do to fix the steering issue. I will say it feels much better in a straight line going balls out than it did at stock width. But it sucks when I am going slow and try to turn cause it just keeps going straight. Usually have to use tire spin to get it to turn. If the car is parked in front of the garage and I have to steer around it to get in, I usually have to back up and try it again, it will not turn at very slow speed, and its a rock driveway so that don't help me either.

In sand, soft is good. Unless your going airborne. Then you need stiffer the average due to the tires sinking in the sand more lowering your ride height on landings.

Lt is a completely different handling game then std length shock setups.

The lt advantage is in the shaft stroke speed and the ability to valve it much more prescicely.

As far as width goes. AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT FRONT SPACERS OR FRONT FLIPPED WHEELS. If anything you want them even. If the front is noticably wider, say 2+ inches it will tend to bite in a slide do to the more centralized rear tires. If the ass is wider 2+ it will be light in the tail in the corners.

As far as cornering with shock setup on lt. It should ride softer then stock arms and she's shocks and still be a tad stiff.

Also your gonna want to get shocks that bottom out with the frame rails 2-3" off the ground. Otherwise you will have issues of the dreaded frame kissing the dirt. Walle has 11.5" travel up front. Rides like a dream and corners on rails.

Sag. You want to have about 2" of sag with you SETTING ON THE MACHINE IN AVERAGE RIDING POSTURE. Any less and it won't "float" like lt suspension is known for.

I have a +2 400ex long travel setup on my bike with 18.5" 09 YFZ shocks I the front and a 660 out back with custom link. Mismatching parts is not as simple as it sounds bro. A +2 upper Warrior arm and a +2 400ex lower are way off. That 400 lower is way longer than a +2 Warrior arm. Your camber is gonna be fucked up. Weston and I have done the 400 swap on the front but neither of us used Warrior uppers. Good luck bro. A +2 400ex is +4 on a Warrior. My tierods are +4 over stock.

Back