how to install a new clutch?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveoclockpimp

Reaction score
does anyone have pics of their clutch install I need o do mine and never have before....looking for some guidance..and what to expect when the cover comes off

If you don't have a service manual, at a minimum study the parts diagram on one of the online parts dealers, like ronniesmailorder.com. Make sure you're getting everything back together in the right order, and torque to specs. The bolts that hold the springs in get 7.2 ft/lbs, the cover gets 7.2 ft/lbs, and i believe the massive nut in the middle takes 78-82 ft/lbs. I made the mistake of rushing the installation of the clutch on my dr350 last week, and now i gotta tear it apart and do it over because i just hammered the nut on with an impact wrench instead of torquing it to specs like i was supposed to. I think my impact wrench puts it to around 250 ft/lbs, and its supposed to be only 32 ft/lbs on my bike - oops!

But check out the parts diagram, that will give you a great idea of what to expect, and i think i do have a picture of mine torn apart partially so you get an idea of what you will see.

Ok, here's what you will expect, minus the pressure plate, thrust bearing, and springs (already removed)

2ea037183a5d9158ce053ecff83b1a15.jpg

TwelveOclockpimp said:
.... i am hammered at the moment

On a tuesday? Nicely done. Usually takes me at least till thursday until i'm sick of working and need to stop by the pub lol.

One more pointer - that big nut is a bitch to get loose. First, you're gonna need a big friggin socket, 37mm if i remember correctly. Took me 3 trips to sears to get it right, nobody carries sockets that big and i kept guessing the wrong size. Second, when you turn that nut, it's just going to want to turn the engine. Even in gear, it's going to make your quad walk across the floor. They make fancy tools that clamp onto the basket to keep it from turning, kinda looks like modified vice grips, but that costs money. I've found that the best way to get it off, by far, is with an impact wrench, it'll just spin right off without turning the clutch. If you don't have an impact wrench available for your use, the next best option (what i did my first time) was to put a broom handle through the brake rotor and sprocket hubs, so the axle can only turn so far, and you can actually get some torque on the nut.

If you don't have big sockets and need to get one, let me know and i can tell you for sure what size you need and you can go get it ahead of time.

i got a set of impact sockets at harbor freight for around 20 bucks, and the 1 1/16" socket fit really good on there, and the 1 1/4 fits good on the front sprocket nut, along with the counter balance shaft nut.

A good trick to keep things from turning (to loosen the nut) is put a penny in the gears.
Never use a screwdriver or anything hard, that is a recipe for broken gear teeth.

Latest posts

Back