How does a weak starter behave?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishx65

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys know when it's time to replace a starter. I've got a fresh battery but she seems to turn over pretty slow. Also, does not start well when hot. Been using the same starter for 18 years but thinking of ordering a new one before she strands me.

Those would be the symptoms of a weak starter. You could also have a bad battery cable, or power cable to the starter. You'd have to do an ohms test, and possibly even a voltage drop test. Or, you could simply remove the starter from the quad and see how it turns over by hand, and you can hook a set of jumper cables to it and see how it turns over with battery power.

Just ordered a DB electric off E-bay. I figure it's good anti-stranding insurance for only 38 bucks. I was thinking of rebuilding my old starter until I saw the price of a new one.

Got the new starter put in today. Huge difference! Kinda surprised the original starter lasted 27 years!!!!!

Back