How bad is this Dome?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddy

Reaction score
i was wondering if this can be redone or if i gotta get a new one or what it seems pretty gashed up...thanks for any help
87huskywr430009.jpg
it came off an 87 husky wr430 im tryin to rebuild

Obviously you dont know 2 strokes... looks like it took the wrist pin out.. take a wire wheel to it and re install.

if the piston does not look like that then id say its a defective forging ive seen car engine cyilinder heads & blokes look like that all dew to bad moldings..

Possibly, the fuel, likely ton of pre-detonation. Either that and/or too hot of a plug.

I have to see the top of the piston to be conclusive though.

Any scuffing on the cylinder walls or piston skirt?

ether way you should not use that head cuz the pitting can cause hot spots & pre ignition..

seems to me your getting all diffrent answeres, hahahaha well if you can afford it, the very best option is ALWAYS replace it, just like if you worked at a dealer, what would you do, youde replace it....

a wire wheel isnt tough enough to get rid of gashes, and when yoiu run the engine carbon deposits will build up and possibly pre-ignite like already stated

yea the piston had gashes on the top and the bottom of the skirting is chipped a little bit and the ring is locked up and has like a piece of the ring missing...so...but i think i can get it machined out and go with a bigger head gasket...thanks for the opinions

If the cylinder wall is scuffed mildly, a simple hone job will fix that.

If the piston itself is chipped as you say, its a paper-weight now, dont use it. Its been exposed to some fierce knocking around, and all you have left is a hand-grenade waiting to go off.

The dome may be salvageable, but you'll just have to see how well it will clean up. If it still has any uneven surface, dont use it.

The dome should be fairly smooth, any notable gashes or pits will cause hot-spots on the dome, and you'll get a shitload of pre-det'. It'll bascially ping like crazy, and the piston will take even more of beating.

cool thanks for the help yea the piston is def not going back in it, im gonna have to get a new piston kit... and theyll prolly cost like 130$ or some bullcrap since these ole swedish husqvarna parts are expensive and hard to find, Mahle made pistons i think, im not sure is wiseco makes one to fit it, prolly not.

How can you replace something you cant find.... parts are going to be a royal pain in the ass to find... you just might end up having to use the head.

The head is likely salvageable, but using that piston again is foolish.

If for some reason he cant find a OEM replacement piston, JE and Wiseco can always make one if they dont already have them available.

head and piston are junk... head may be able to be decked then machined but I bet after doing all that **** you'd be better off to buy used or new.

Latest posts

Back