Hot Shot Coil, if you have one READ.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonp

Reaction score
When I first built my engine to 366cc I was having a problem with it starting. So I decided to replace the coil with a Hot Shot one from Dennis Kirk. It's actually one you can buy from Ricks. I will say that first off this was not causing my problem. I wanted to keep is as I thought it was "better." But I did some testing in the last couple months as I was just going over my fourwheeler making sure everything was good. (Had another starting problem). So I tested both the stock coil and Hot Shot. The Hot Shot would bearly jump a 1/4" gap. The spark was weak and caused a lot of hesition and stumble I could not get out no matter how lean or rich I jetted the carb. The stock coil jumped more then a 1" gap to compare to. So my recomendation is if you ever need a coil keep the stock one as it is very high output.. . more then you would ever need.
After replacing the coil I also got to test a MSD small engine coil that works with the warrior. This coil did not jump a gap any longer but had much thicker arc and spark also the duration was longer. After taking the Hot Shot coil off the four wheeler has never run better and had more power. Now I can just wack the throttle open it just goes, before it would stumble and wait a second then pickup.
Hope this helps someone that thinks they should put the Hot Shot coil on there engine. :)

Latest posts

Back