Hot Rod's Stroker -measurements and fun

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonp

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I bought a Hot Rods kit that was claimed basically by Hot Rods to be a +7mm OLDER crank from 07. I don't believe any of these first older cranks were +7mm and contacted Hot Rod's about it and that basically said it was just a mistake by them all warrior stroker cranks are +4mm.

No big deal to me, well it would be cool if it was a +7mm but just trying to figure everything out before building this engine.

On to the piston. So I install the crank and install the piston and sleeve with no gaskets or rings. Guess what. The piston sits about .040" down in the hole with no gaskets. With a stock base gasket it's another .020" so .060"! What does .060" equal? Yep, 1.5mm's. 2mm + 1.5mm = 3.5x2=7mm. So the piston was made for a +7mm stroker crank. NOW that sucks!! haha So basically going to have to get the cylinder cut down .060" to get 0 deck height with a stock base gasket. I'm also going to have the cylinder head cut down to bring the compression up.

Any of you running Hot Rod's stroker crank should make sure with the older CP piston check your deck height as you are most likely running less compression then stock with the piston sitting more then .100" down.

Hope to get this beast going soon and see how it runs. Not expecting a huge difference but should be cool for the gf.

That was my ?. You may want to talk to bones, I think he as the +4 mill. I know the +4 was the older crank, and the +7 is the newer. That +4 may have it's own piston, but I can't be sure.

Good luck guy, you're not concerned about timing chain tension?

Not really. The tensioner was about half way out on a used chain. You could always get a custom chain made. I'm sure it will be fine though. I'm more worried about cam timing which should be ok as long as you have adjustabe gear.

That was my ?. You may want to talk to bones, I think he as the +4 mill. I know the +4 was the older crank, and the +7 is the newer. That +4 may have it's own piston, but I can't be sure.

No Hot Rods never came out with a +7mm stroker crank, it was a mistake and miss labeled by them. Some have said that the older crank was +7mm before 08 production. I'm hear to say that I have measured it and that is not the case as was also told by Hot Rods rep they never produced a +7mm for the warrior only +4mm.

I have the CP piston that is for the stroker crank which was made for a +7mm stroker crank which was never produced. Hot Rods told CP the wrong spec.

I'm guessing that people think that the kit is a drop in kit and don't measure the deck clearance or even know what that is or care.

when i had talked to hot rods they told the same thing about the cranks as jasonp is talking about... i didnt feel that piston was worth the price @ 9.2:1 or 9.5:1... cant remember ... so i got my uncle the spec everything and get a custom piston from JE and my deck clearance is right @ .039

I figured you did something along those lines. When I saw your the JE in your sig I knew some custom order had to have been made. What did that run you? And I'm willing to bet the cr was 9.2, because that is factory compression. How do you like that setup, btw? I have to completely rebuid my extra engine, and am undecided about what route I wanna take. Would love to do the 400 big bore from cwr. But, that requires case bore. Which would be fine if I had a good crank in it, but when you add in the cost of the big bore and crank, that's a good amount of dough. Can spend less and do the stroker.

the piston was right around 300$ but imo well worth it .. i love this set up ( i can smoke 400ex's all day on the ice or dirt but mainly cuz i love pissing uncle off 400ex fan <--- (crazy)

They are a little too into themselves, aren't they. At that price I might as well go with the big bore, which I like better anyway, because I'm partial to big bore short stroke engines.

Latest posts

Back