HMF speed gains by radar + other speed test.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
I finally got a new HMF for my 350 Raptor. I was anxious to see the results of the net gain. I have a GYTR filter and jet kit ordered but have not received them. So I put the pipe on and lowered the needle according to HMF specs and it really runs great like that. I will probably have to rejet once I put on the GYTR filter.

Of course as we all know the HMF exhaust sounds absolutely badass. It has a really deep rumble when starting. It sounds fast just sitting there. I did notice wheelies came up much easier.

But is it really faster? Time to break out the radar gun.

The first test was top speed.
Stock this time the Raptor topped out at 59 with a couple of 60 miles per hour passes. This falls in line exactly with every article I have read where the top speed of the Raptor was accurately checked and not by "My friend followed me in his XYZ and said I was doing 68". This was with outside temperature right at 100 degrees and the tires with low tire pressure. If I cranked up the tire pressure it might of squeeked another mph out of it.

With the pipe it reached 63 mph consistently. That is more than a 5% gain in top speed, which I think is pretty good for just a pipe. It consistently hit 63, which makes me think I am at the top of the gearing for the Raptor.

How about acceleration?

For this I did a shorter run to see what speed was reached at around 430 feet. To make things interesting I put the quad up against 2 "Rabbits" to get a speed comparison.

The first contender is of course the Raptor 350 with the new HMF Candy Red exhaust.
The first rabbit is our Jaguar S-type V-8. She is rated right at 300 hp with the K&N intake. This is a heavy luxury car that takes a while to get it rolling but once it gets rolling you need to hold on.

16015431974.jpg

The next rabbit was my Yamaha FZX Fazer 700. Those that know the Fazer's history know what a potent street bike this is. She is all stock.

16112302841.jpg

Now for the times in the short sprint.

The Raptor stock would hit 51 mph.

With the HMF exhaust it would hit 53 mph. A pretty significant gain in a sprint.

The Luxury Jag would hit 60 mph and was just begining to pull hard.

The Yamaha Fazer would hit 76 mph and was in 3rd gear.

The asphault we were on was only a week old so the car spun a little and I had to really feather the clutch to keep the Fazer from spinning the back tire.

I had fun doing the comparison. I really thought the Raptor would out pull the Jag in the short run but I guess the Jag is deceptively fast.

Anything else you guys would like me to test with the Raptor just let me know.

thats awsome glad you like your hmf pipe loks great on the bike too.

~Eddie

wouldent the gearing limit the speed?, i dont think a pipe adds speed, the gearing does

Yes and no! Gearing can change your top speed but it is not the only thing that determines what it is. Maximum RPM's of the engine is also a big factor in the equation. In this case, my stock raptor was not developing enough HP to reach maximum RPM's in 6th gear to reach top speed. By putting a pipe on the bike resulting in more horsepower it was able to reach higher RPM's on the engine therefore turning the gears just a little faster resulting in a higher top speed.

As I stated, from the sound of the engine and the consistent results of 63 MPH I think I was now hitting the rev limiter and this will be the top speed of the bike. Now changing the gearing will change top speed. Or if I put a new CDI in the bike allowing more RPM's the top speed will again be more, if the bike has the HP to push it back to red line again.

You can gear a bike on paper to reach 90 mph, but if you do not have the HP to turn the engine you will run out of power long before you run out of gear.

ok i got it now, thanks, but just to let you know they dont have rev limiters

Not sure about the Warrior, but the Raptor has a rev limiter. (I may be wrong.??) It is built into the programming on the CDI. There are several companies that make CDI's with increased rev limits such as RMSTATOR.com http://www.rmstator.com/index.php/ATV/Yamaha/Raptor_350/High_Performance_CDI/166, which increases the rev limit by 1000 rpm and changes the timing curve. Another one is Big Gun which removes the rev limit completely and several other different brands on places like ebay.

I bought one for my sons Raptor 50. It would hit the rev limiter right away and sounded like crap as it popped along. Put a new cdi in by RMSTATOR. It changed the timing curve and +1000 RPM. It made a huge difference and increased its top speed substantially.

today when i was out i hit 97h this is on a flat surface with a hmf/jet kit/k&n i also have 22's tires and i went up a tooth on the front. im not sure how accurate a trail tech is but it was over 97

today when i was out i hit 97h this is on a flat surface with a hmf/jet kit/k&n i also have 22's tires and i went up a tooth on the front. im not sure how accurate a trail tech is but it was over 97

Not calling you out or anything. But 97...That trailtech computer was a pretty expensive machine to give wrong information..

I hope you're canadian or something, and using the metric system. 97 mph is pretty ridiculous, you need to check your manual and re-program the computer if you're truly getting those speeds on the readout, and not just bullshitting us.

I have gearing that's quite a bit taller than stock, and considerable mods, and in a long flat stretch I can get it wound out to right around 70, but it takes a little while to get there.

For all of us metric illiterate people I had to pull out the conversion calculator :)

97 kph = 60.273 mph

Back