Hill climbs?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridaredneck

Reaction score
Haven't posted here for a while but I've got back on the raptor and rode it a few times. Got some stuff over winter nothing big but still. I was wondering how steep of a hill these little bastards can climb? I've went up hills on my raptor that guys with 400 EX can't climb. Is it rider skill or something to do. I will try and get some video's this week with me climbing some hill.

These quads are really front heavy, so that help immensely with keeping the nose down during hill climbs.

Motor looks to be pretty far forward on the warrior.

not just far forward, but also heavy (weighs about twice as much as the 400 motors) and touquey as hell so it keeps pulling no matter how hard it's being lugged. Put some aggressive tires on it and it'll do that much better.

I've all ready have some aggressive tires I also got it re geared (13/37 I think?) and I just put it in second and let it have at it. If stuff starts to bog its down to first and the tires keep on spinning.

I guess it also helps that I weigh about 180 and the raptor is what 400 pounds so I got about a third of the weight on it. But is still don't make sence you cant even walk up these hills, once I get to the top most of the time I'm jumping off the top.

I'm going to try for a video this weekend for you guys.

The weight helps in this depatment. Just get a good speed going but also keep the revs up while approching the hill so as the quad slows down the motor won't bog. We've hit some hills here in the South Jersey sand pits that had to be over 100 foot high with some serious angles, like 45° to 50°. I will say the Warrior will climb any hill and can do it with relative ease compared to most quads. The Rappy 660 was a good hill climber too.

With the weight distribution and mini torque-moster Warrior/Raptor 350 engine, they are natural born climbers.

I proved that to a few idiots several weekends back at Mammoth Bar. they were all on current water-cooled sport quads, charge'n up this particular hill. It was damn steep is several spots.

I hear one guys tell another he's really got to be on throttle to make it to the top, and I just laughed.

Long story short, I put my Rappy in 1st gear, and crawled it to the top like some crazy 4x4 on the Rubicon.

When I got back to the bottom, my wife tells me the guys were talk'n **** about how I was gonna slide back, stall it, wad, roll it, etc etc. They totally STFU when I arrived easily at the top. One guy says "Holy ****, I cant believe you made that riding so slow."

It was pretty damn funny to watch, according to my wife... lol

(just make sure you have good tires!)

Hill climbing with my Warrior compare to my brothers EX is ground clearance. Not a issue on most surfaces but take for instance the Stair Steps in WVa. were you have washouts / ruts, play a major ride ability.
I'm sitting about 4 1/2" at the rear skid -vs- his 10".

dave76 said:
The Rappy 660 was a good hill climber too.

I can't agree with that at any level. They're just way too wheelie happy. It's hard enough to keep the front end down on level trails, a steep hill will make them turn over real quick if you're not careful. Throw about 3 feet of extra swingarm on one and then i'd consider it. They've definitely got the power, the weight balance is just way off for that. The 700 is miles ahead in that department. I can still snap the front end up in the air easily when i want to, but it doesn't just shoot up unexpectedly like the 660 is known for. I still feel better on the warrior doing hill climbs because the power is more tame, and an accidental jab of the throttle will be a little more forgiving.

Wait till Monday I've been messing around sanding the clutch a little to see if it will make it want to grab till I have the money to get a new one. Also I put some thinner oil in hopping it will make a difference but I will get them up Monday or Tuesday.

Yeah the 400ex likes to lift the front on really steep hills..I can pick my 400 right up in the front and sit it on the ass..its a little more of a struggle with the warrior..there a tank

worm1 said:
. Not a issue on most surfaces but take for instance the Stair Steps in WVa.

When he said stair steps, does he mean a valley fill? It is where they dump rock and earth over the side of a mountain in the process of surface mining . It makes that part of the mountain stepped or terraced like so (makes hella climbs)

valley_fills.jpg

It makes that part of the mountain stepped or terraced like so (makes hella climbs)

That's what I meant...Hatfield, Thanks for the local definition.

Sorry guys the craptor had carb issues, I guess the float was sticking. Was flooding pretty bad and didn't want it to crap out half way up a hill. I got the **** ordered. But I'm selling my other bike the weekend so I don't know if I can get out the weekend but I will try.

Latest posts

Back