Here's some good reading.....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine beak-in or breakin'

I've always stuck to the "shut-up and ride it" mantra. Don't ride it like you stole-it, but don't be afraid of RPM's either. Let that new engine rev, but vary the RPM's. Example: rev your new engine out, but I don't hold it at ANY rpm for long periods until you have a few tanks thru it. When I did my top-end (Wiseco 10.25:1, Hotcams stage I, Warrior carb etc.) I set the engine to run at 2500-3000 RPM's for 20 minutes (admittedly with a bunch of fans, and a tight pucker!!). Then I just took it out and rode it. On long trails, I'd just get into, then out of the throttle. Now a few tanks later (3 or 4) I can ride it like I want to, and I think it runs great! Phooey on the "old treat it like fine china" method!

I think the author has some very good points. I've heard the argument that "thousands of dollors are spent on R&D and that's the way you should break an engine in". Contrary to what R&D says I've had very good results with the "break it in like you're going to ride it" process.

This is America.....your choice!

<><

I broke mine in like I was going to ride it. That is how my dealer told me to do it. If you plan on riding full throttle some, make sure that you hit full throttle during the break in period.

better late than never: my two cents

my opion on breaking in an engine is winder up........ I think sustained High RPM is not good. example: your fly down a dirt road in fifth gear wide open. you let off and downshift to 4th for the approaching Hard right hand turn then hit 3rd roll backin to the throttle at 3/4 and tear up the apex of the turn. Thats alil hard on a brand new motor i think. but really i think some peoples idea of riding hard differs. For me i love the power band of a carbed engine. this is one thing i don't here people talk about anymore with EFI systems. for people that don't know the power band is controled by the cam. It's like a airplain Taking Off. when the motor is at the RPM where the rate of air and fuel being drawn in and out of the motor is perfect, it's like the airplain. HOLD ON FOR TAKE OFF! the motor makes all it's HP between this range. Now changeing your exaust can effect this powerband. if it's to restrictive you will loose the top end REVs causeing the motor to flatin out, but it may increase bottom end witch will help you get to the power band faster. (great for people that short shift) this doesn't mean that you don't need any back pressure, you do. you need to limit the amount of exaust, just like the intake air flow is limited to in diamiter of carb.
Depending how you ride, wether you short shift or winder out you can tune your bike the way you want it to preform. :evil:

Sorry for the Airplane Refference if you don't get it.

Let me know what you think......

Latest posts

Back