Help with this please?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout

Reaction score
warriorporting015.jpg

Do these need to match my frame? Do they tell me what year my motor is? Thanks..

The last 6 digits of that number should match the last 6 digits of your VIN. That way you can tell if it is the original engine in the bike, thus the year of the engine would match the chassis. If the number is different then it either had an engine swap or a case replaced.

Thanks man. Is there any way to tell by the last 6 digits when it was made? Say serial number 000001 would =1987?

Do the last 6 on your case match the last 6 on the chassis? If so the engine is original and is the same year as the chassis. If not there is no way in really knowing since its the 10th digit of the VIN that is the year code. Ex= VIN jy43GDW08WA215005 is a 1998, code W=1998. If the 10th digit was X=1999.

Here is some VIN information I'll share with you, I'm a mechanic and learn't all this long ago.
First digit is country of origin (ex. 1, 4,5 is USA, 2 is Canada, J is Japan)

Second digit is manufacturer (ex. Y=Yamaha)

Third is vehicle type

4-8 is vehicle info (model, engine, body type, etc)

nine is the check digit

ten is the year code

eleven is assembly plant code

then 12-17 is the serial number of the individual vehicle.

General information on the 10th digit.....
10th digit is a letter from A to Y, but never uses letters I,O,Q,U

A=1980 B=1981.........X=1999, Y=2000

After 2000 the 10th digit becomes a number

1=2001, 2=2002.......8=2008, 9=2009

Hope this helps.

thanks thats some good info.... is that for all fourwheelers or just yamahas does it apply to bike too? any idea what they did pre-1980

It applies to all vehicles - cars, bikes, atvs, transport trucks, etc, etc.

Before 1980 things were a little tricky, everything had its own system. Yamaha only went to the 17 digit VIN in 84 I believe. I had a 1983 Yamaha Seca 550 motorcycle that had a 9 digit VIN.

deadlastracing said:
http://www.atvstyle.com/index.php/atv-vin-number

That all good stuff, but what do the vin numbers on the case mean? That the info that I can't seem to find? Or are they all production stamped?

The last 6 digits in the number on the engine case should match the last 6 of the VIN of the bike. If they don't match its not the original engine / case as I said before. The 3 digits preceding the dash mark (3DG) are just model information (which is also part of the VIN, see characters 4-8 of the VIN), in this case the code likely means 350cc, single cylinder, gasoline powered. The serial number on the engine has no character indicating model year.

RatchRacing said:
It applies to all vehicles - cars, bikes, atvs, transport trucks, etc, etc.

Before 1980 things were a little tricky, everything had its own system. Yamaha only went to the 17 digit VIN in 84 I believe. I had a 1983 Yamaha Seca 550 motorcycle that had a 9 digit VIN.

eh it doesnt apply to yamaha snowmbiles unfortunatly... they must be the black sheep

Back