help with installing grease fittings

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasislight

Reaction score
i have never attempted this before. i want to install grease fittings while the warrior is apart. what should i get for tapping bits, and is a 16.9v variable speed drill sufficient, or do i need to use a drill press. thanks.

That drill should work.... your going to want self tapping grease fittings and a bit that is the right size... other than that check to make sure they clear everywhere and go for it... Bearing carrier and swingarm are prime location to put one.

so no go on the tapping bits? thats the only reason i asked if the drill would be alright, im sure i can find self tapping zerks online, i didnt know they existed. any ideas on where to get them?

You can't use a drill for tapping threads, you'll just break it off and cause yourself more trouble than just tapping the threads by hand like you're supposed to. After you drill the hole, you need to slowly run the tap in. when it gets a little hard to turn, don't force it, just back it out some, and then in again until you're all the way through. Breaking off a tap is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with.

A couple tips for this:

Don't use real heavy grease for the carrier bearings. Since you'll fill that whole carrier with grease, the heavy stuff is going to add some rolling resistance between the axle and carrier. I used the heaviest duty industrial grade grease available (got a case of it for free) and my axle doesn't roll so easily anymore.

And put a small hole in the seals on each side of the bearings (the ones built into the bearing, not the rubber seal that installs beside the bearing). Otherwise the grease won't have anywhere to go and will just build up pressure in the middle of the carrier and never make it through the bearings. DON'T poke a hole in the outer seals though, that'll let contaminants in.

Back