HELP!......Please HELP!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearhead5150

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Yamaha warrior 350. the engine runs fine. the transmission is almost gone. It runs and drives but slips on gears and hard to get into 1st gear.
i want to order a bottom engine from ebay and put my parts on and go. my main question is, the engine on ebay is a 99 mine is a 87 will my parts swap? (carb, top end, and misc hoses and cables) The bottom engine on ebay says it was running fine and shifting through all gears fine before dissasable. PLEASE HELP. I'M NOT TOO FAMILAR WITH WARRIORS YET!

Unless I'm wrong, the engines are all interchangeable, however you will have to replace all electrical components of the new engine with the ones from your current engine.

sounds like a clutch/reverse shifter problem. check into it before throwing a new bottom end on it cause it might not be worth it.

Slipage sounds like a clutch issue, not having a gear like say you dont have 3rd that would be internal gears i believe!!

Agree with above, clutches are way cheaper and easier to replace. esp. if the cases are apart on the one your looking to buy and its disassembled like you say. check clutches/clutch cable adjustment/push lever adjustment. Just try clutches if ya haven't before ya go looking for a bottom end IMO. If ya really need one post an ad for one in the "wanted" section here. These guys are great about helping each other out here and you will prolly get a better deal and know more about what your getting. Heck it may just be the cable rusted and freezing up as I have seen it happen multiple times. just my 2 cents Start simple and cheap and work up from there, don't throw parts at it til ya know for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah man, check the clutch adjustment, make sure the reverse lever is securely in the forward posistion & that it is adjusted properly. See what happens before you spend money on a whole engine or a bottom end. If it turns out to need a clutch, replace it. If you are having internal trans issue, severe grinding/clunking/no gear, then you will have to rebuild the engine or replace it. Honestly, you can probably rebuild it cheaper then buying a used engine from Ebay. Complete trans assemblies go for less then $70 on average. Bones has one if memory serves. Piston can be had for $110, complete gasket kit for around $75, timing chain $35, clutch $60-$120 (depending on mfg), boring and honing $50-$80 (if it even needs to be bored, but will still need honing with new piston), and unless you get into having the head rebuilt (always a good idea) you can see just how inexpensive it is to do it, if you have the skills & commom sense.

If u do have to brake into the case, u should look into grinding the case behind the reverse drum.

Back