Help... Electrical issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McOmish

Reaction score
So I decided to try to fix up my 02 warrior that hasnt been fired up for 3 to 4 years, last time it ran my buddy had rolled it down a hill many, many times. We got it to run by popping the clutch to get out of there but this is where i have my main problem. I have no electricity without the engine running. None. No lights, nothing happens when I hit start. I have stripped it almost down to frame and engine and need direction before I go and buy a new cdi or something.

Is your battery dead? 3 to 4yrs is along time. Did u check all the ground wires? When my ground wire broke off the battery terminal, my quad would not start, the lights would not work unless my quad was running

Last edited:
thanks, So are there multiple chasis grounds? So far i have only seen one. My battery holds a constant 12+ volts. I have cleaned the terminals. Sorry i missed putting that in there. Im going to hose it down tomorrow so i can see the colors of wires better to check for continuity. Using a circut tester there is power from chasis to + so the ground cable should be fine. Could it be a cdi or rectifier? Would there be a way to check without swapping the unit? Any ideas and advise are appreciated.

you have several grounds on the quad. i would clean the quad very good first. then i would disconnect every connecter on the quad and clean them up.clean anything up that would corrode or rust. when i got my warrior the connectors were so corroded it took me a week to clean and replace wires so i could fire it up. look all over the motor and frame. it has to be a electrical problem if your battery is good. make sure that the battery is hooked up right. sounds stupid but a buddy of mine bought a new battery for his bike and hooked it up wrong. he caused himself a lot of problems. just check to make sure. most likly a bad ground or a broke wire. check everything over and keep us posted.

Thanks guys, cleaning it up today. yeah yesterday my roomate hooked the battery up in reverse... Lol. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the problem was evident right after it rolled.

is there any damage to the switch on the handle bars that controls the headlights,start button and kill switch?check your wires coming down from the bars.

I tested all the wires for continuity on the light, start and run switch, all checked out. My 15 amp fuse off the solenoid was blown so I replaced it, now when i turn the key I hear a small click near the solenoid, could be the cgi or the thing (relay i think) to the right of the started solenoid? I feel that it is a normal sound. all other chassis grounds look good. I dont see any other fuses, any advise?

Ok now that you have the relay clicking try jumping the seloniod, I have a sneaky suspicion that you have a bad one. If it turns over when you jump it replace it. If not the battery is probably bad.

also go and clean the terminals ont he starter motor, solenoid, clean out the plug fro the solenoid and the ones coming off the wires for the stator

Yay I fixed it, cleaned up some contacts and replaced the fuse. I took apart every connector and cleaned them and put them back together. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Back