Help diagnosing an 87

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishx65

Reaction score
I just want to be clear how I should go about this before dumping $$$$ into it. My 87 is in really good shape with a strong motor. Right now she requires more cranking then usual to start but will run perfect for about 10 minutes before she starts sputtering. Can't restart when hot. After cool down everything is perfect for another 10 minutes. I'm sure it could be the Stator, ignition coil or the CDI box. Hope it's not the expensive CDI box!!!! I'm gonna OHM the stator when I get up to the cabin in a few weeks. Never done this but will figure it out.

Has anyone else experienced this same 10 minute behavior and did you find the culprit??? What part is most likely heating up and failing? I'm kinda hoping it's the ignition coil!!!! I was about to just go ahead and order a stator but now I've decided to check things out a little better before jumping the gun. I'm pretty sure everything is original on this Warrior.

Thanks, FishX65

I know some else had this problem it would start fine idle for 10-15 minutes and then it would die and if i remember it was the stator when it was hot when it was cold it was fine but when it was hot it was out of spec so ohm the stator when cold and when hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had this happen to me and I was told it was a stator but Lately mine has been really good other than every once in awhile having a hard Time starting when hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back