HELP!! Clutch works fine then looses power and won't pull!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinfranx

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 Warrior 2-3 weeks ago, the clutch was screwed up on it when I bought it. Yesterday we spent all day installing a new EBC clutch kit with new friction plates, steel plates, and springs. While we were at it we did the extra steel plate mod and and the raptor cable mod. Spent half the day today getting the adjustment just right and finally got it working. We were doing a test run and got to really ripping and all of a sudden it just lost power and wont pull any more. What could be causing this??

what do you mean lost power... the motor? clutch starts slipping? gotta be more specific

Last edited:
Maybe that was a bad way to describe it. Everything was cool, it took off just fine but when he got to going pretty fast the gas just stopped doing anything. The motor keeps running but it just rolled to a stop

so your saying now the motor runs but it won't move?

did you soak the clutch fibers in oil prior to install?

Never ran ebc but never heard good things. Sounds like you either smoked the fibers from it being adjusted wrong or glazed the steels. Take the steels out and scuff them with 800 grit sandpaper clean and reinstall. You may luck out or it may slip. Next time buy driveline hd

and you've tried adjusting the cable?
there wasn't any snap or loud noise from the clutch side of the motor when this happened was there?
I'm thinking either
1 you fried the clutch/didn't break it in properly
2 something broke on the clutch basket
3 the clutch/cable/arm needs to be re adjusted
or drain oil or pull clutch cover off and if you see clutch fibers in oil or behind cover then you know you fried the clutch

My rear brake isn't working real great at the moment, is there any chance that the weird parking brake thing might have something to do with it or does that cause it to act up in a different way??

mine did that once, if you didnt hold the clutch pack tightly together during installation the 2 pressure plates wont spline right and it will slip

An update: We opened up the bike again and saw that the clutch spring bolts had backed out because we didn't torque them down correctly, we didn't have a torque wrench that could read 6 ft lbs. There was a lot of friction material in the bottom of the clutch case. I'm really hoping that I don't have to buy new friction plates...

you can try it but make sure you get all the friction material out of bottom end and clean the oil drain plug screen good too and change or clean the oil filter also
chances are that if there is a lot of clutch material in the oil then you will need new friction plates and you may want to ruff up each side of the steel plates also cause they are probably glazed over

Today I had the chance to open up the clutch case and found that the clutch basket had some pretty heavy grooves in it, so I filed/ sanded those smooth. The new friction plates did have a pretty good amount of wear on them but I felt like they had enough friction material left on them that they should still last a while. I also scuff sanded the steel plates just in case they had glazed over. I double checked everything and reinstalled everything according to the manual and everything is looking much better.

I went to test it out and it is pretty tricky to get it into first gear but once it gets going it works great. Do I just need to adjust my clutch cable??

I also noticed some jittering/ jerking/ chatter around the front sprocket while the bike is trying to go into first. Is this anything to worry about?

I did a pretty good test run and was feeling pretty good about everything until the front brakes locked up

Back