HELP! Clutch Cover won't come off!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamarider

Reaction score
I'm trying to put in my new clutch tonight. I took out all the bolts around the clutch cover, and it's stuck on the side closest to the front of the quad. It seems like everything is loose except the edge of it. Did I forget something or do I need to pry it off? Or is something else broke? thanks

You should pry/pull/wiggle it STRAIGHT OUT (not up) towards you; there are two metal dowles that are in the case (and they come out so don't lose them).

It was stuck on the right side dowel. Now another question... what size socket do I need to remove the big nut that holds the clutch boss on? I don't have one big enough, and I don't want to spend the little cash I have left on an entire socket set.

What you can do though (and what I do when I don't have a tool) is go to your local Walmart and buy a cheapo' socket set, use it, and return it to get your money back (they will allow you to return anything, they have a VERY customer satisfaction oriented policy).

For future reference, the big nut needs a 27mm socket, which I could only find at Sears. But once again I have another question. Is there anything that makes it easy to remove the old gasket from the clutch cover? That bastard is glued on pretty good, and a razor blade only gets the gasket off on the edges. Is there a dremel attachment or some kind of solvent that helps take it off?

Get the little wire brush attachment for a dremel. Works great for taking off the gasket material without removing any aluminum.

Get the little wire brush attachment for a dremel. Works great for taking off the gasket material without removing any aluminum.

Yes they do! I just use a gasket scraper or carefully use a razor blade.

I have a wire wheel for my drill. Would that be too harsh on the aluminum?

Is there anything I can use other than yamaha's specialized tool to keep the clutch from spinning while I break the big nut loose?

Wire wheel is fine just use a fine one and don't use alot of pressure, that **** comes off easy!

i guess i'll stop at walmart tomorrow and get a wire wheel for the dremel. The wheels for my drill are pretty coarse and I don't want to take the chance of messing anything up. I know that once the gasket material is cleaned off the remains will be stuck inside the clutch cover. Is there anything that works good for cleaning it out, or should I just use a shop rag?

I would not use a steel wire wheel on aluminum. I use a steel wheel to port out aluminum intakes for vehicles. a "steel" wheel cuts aluminum, leaving an uneven/not flat surface .
Scrape with screwdriver,razor,knife etc. use wd40 for ease of removal too.
A Brass wire wheel could be used for gasket removal, however, they are more money.

I got it all cleaned off using a razor blade and a wire brush on the dremel to clean it up. Thanks for all the help. Now all I need is some oil to get it running again. Is there any kind of a break-in for clutches where I need to take it easy on it, or can I go straight back to my normal riding?

I just got the oil in it and took it for a test ride. I'm almost surprised that it turned out right, for some reason I was unsure whether it was going to work. So is there a break-in period for clutches? My guess is no, but I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Latest posts

Back