Helmets

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
OK, after all the fussing in the potm thread I decided to start a place to have it out about helmets.

My opinion: I wear a helmet anytime I ride EXCEPT when I hunt. When I'm hunting I'm going very slow and being VERY cautious. I've wiped out more than once but one particular time I'm sure I wouldn't have walked away if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. I don't have a two hundred dollar helmet but it did the trick and kept all but my chin in good shape. The handlebar came under my helmet and busted my chin (sixteen stitches worth I think it was).

I've heard the argument about going slow and not needing one but I seen a video on tv a while back (on 20/20 or 60 minutes I think) in which a PROFESSIONAL stunt rider was performing for a video and didn't wear a helmet since he was just doing wheelies and going rather slow. He ended up falling off and landing on his head. Long story short, they had to remove half of his skull to allow his brain to swell and not kill him. I looked for the link but couldn't find it.

If anyone has a four year degree and decides to do stunts without a helmet they are OBVIOUSLY educated beyond their intelligence. If they have a four year degree, don't wear a helmet when doing stunts, and work in a parts shop they are just plain STUPID! If it sounds like I'm talking about you, then I probably am ;D Bad thing is you look down on house builders and I've yet to know a house builder who made less than a cop. If they were to drop a few IQ points they may have qualified to be california cops though.

I personally only use it when riding fast or doing stunts, but there's no poll option for both. By stunts I mean jumps and such, not slow wheelies. If I think I might fall off I wear it. But I usually don't wear it because my head hasn't touched anything in the countless mountain bike crashes I've been in and the few ATV crashes/wipeouts. I have a reflex to always protect my head, no matter how I fall, so that gives me confidence.

I know my philosophy isn't the smartest or safest, but it's worked out for me. :p

......... Bad thing is you look down on house builders and I've yet to know a house builder who made less than a cop. If they were to drop a few IQ points they may have qualified to be california cops though.

Kinda hurt my feelings bagging on us Home Builders :mad: ::) I know I live in this piece of **** house, that I built myself and don't have **** to my name but oh well, I am happy. It put my wife through school and this roof over our head. Now that my wife is out of school I was able to quit the construction biz and concentrate on raising my family. You will never hear me say anything bad about anybody in the construction business.
P.S. Old picture, wife now rides a Predator 500 LE ;) :-*

Straightonfamilyofquads.jpg

As far as helmets, I almost always wear one. The last time I didn't was when I was loading up all the quads on the trailer to go on a trip. I was playing around on the lil Outlaw 90 going around a corner and the back end caught launching my butt off and rolling me across the ground. The only thing I could say to my family laughing their ass off at me was that is why you always wear a helmet, cause you never know!

Good for you Palerider, and just to clarify it, I wasn't the one throwing off on construction work or workers. My dad was a general contractor most of his life, as well as being a machinist, small engine tech, and appliance tech. In other words, if it breaks on or in a house he can fix it lol.

..I think it was some asshole newb

Who probably gets someone else to do EVERYTHING for him because he is so lacking in basic skills.

Sorry yall, that ticked me off a little bit.

If I'm moving my quad from the shop to shed or getting it out of the way of something is about the only time I do not wear a helmet. It's kinda something I feel pretty strongly about that if your doing more than putzing around moving a quad from point A to point B you should be wearing a helmet becuase just like pale rider said "you never know what can happen".

[quote:iisnqk00]..I think it was some asshole newb

Who probably gets someone else to do EVERYTHING for him because he is so lacking in basic skills.

Sorry yall, that ticked me off a little bit.

[/quote:iisnqk00]

Im pretty sure it ticked alot of people off..Im surprised he hasnt gotten in here and told everybody he has a 4 year degree in dicksucking trying to tell everybody he knows everything about helmets like he did In POTM

damn palerider! that is a sweet house! you really built that yourself? thats awesome! i wish i was that talented. i couldnt do something like that. it seems that everyone has their own special talents that others need. its the whole law of supply and demand. im going into nursing, so when stupid douchebag decides to ride their quad without a helmet doing stupid **** (not naming any names, lol) and cracks their head open, ill be the one putting in their catheder so they dont piss all over themselves while lying in intensive care. well, ill actually be the charge nurse so ill be telling other nurses to go do this stuff, but you get the idea. all this with a 4 year college degree and i wont have to worry about getting shot. the most i will have to worry about is disease transmission from IV needles and mountains of paperwork. damn! how boring! lol. anyways, i have the utmost respect for people who actually work for a living. my father works as an aircraft electrician. he did some contracting work with the military in kuwait and just got back a few months ago. next year he will be going to iraq for more contract work. thats some really hard work there (not saying construction isnt). before that, he used to work with my grandfather doing commercial and residential wallpapering and painting (interior and exterior). i worked with him one summer when i was 16 painting interiors of unfinished homes. that **** sucked! paint fumes, new houses with no ac in the middle of summer, full days. i dont mean to bitch, but i just want others (especially younger members that may not be working yet or dont have to work) to appreciate the hard work that people do to make their lives more comfortable. damn i am rambling now. anyways, wear a helmet and dont be a ****** douchebag newb! im out this biatch!

Yeah im 16 and have bought almost everything i have..I hate asking my parents to buy something for me..Not even at christmas..I just tell them i dont want anything and then in the summer when i can work with my dad i just buy what i want.Most of my friends get what ever they want from there parents and always bitch when there told to do something as simple as burn the garbage. So when they get into the real world and mommy and daddy arent there to pay for everything..I really wanna see how quickly they fall apart. Over this last summer I spent 2 grand on parts for my warrior and then towards the end I bought my 400ex for 1500. At the time i didnt have the full 1500 so my dad paid for the rest b/c he knew how bad i have really wanted a 400ex for so long. But the next week after i got it i worked my ass off and told him not to pay me for that week. He didnt want to not pay me so i let him pay me then i gave the money to my mom and told her to put it wear dad would find it.

Yeah im 16 and have bought almost everything i have..I hate asking my parents to buy something for me..Not even at christmas..I just tell them i dont want anything and then in the summer when i can work with my dad i just buy what i want.Most of my friends get what ever they want from there parents and always bitch when there told to do something as simple as burn the garbage. So when they get into the real world and mommy and daddy arent there to pay for everything..I really wanna see how quickly they fall apart. Over this last summer I spent 2 grand on parts for my warrior and then towards the end I bought my 400ex for 1500. At the time i didnt have the full 1500 so my dad paid for the rest b/c he knew how bad i have really wanted a 400ex for so long. But the next week after i got it i worked my ass off and told him not to pay me for that week. He didnt want to not pay me so i let him pay me then i gave the money to my mom and told her to put it wear dad would find it.

I'm like that too, but the problem is I'm pretty lazy usually. :D Plus with school I just won't have the energy to work, so I rely on my parents most of the time. Right now I've got around $1000 saved up to help pay for a car when I eventually get one. But I'm gonna work my ass off over the summer when I don't have to worry about school.

I also don't like my parents buying me alot of stuff, but now with college working is kindof hard, so I'm having me get things like food or other small stuff even though I don't want them to.

usd, I know what you mean with the painting, I used to lay carpet (still do occasionally) in houses without power. I had to hire someone to help me lay it out then it was all me. My wife rides me to do it full time because I like it and it pays really well. I also worked with my dad a lot and do home repairs in my spare time.

right on kreed. damn i dont think i would want to lay carpet full time. im sure the money is good but thats some damn hard work. a buddy of mine used to lay carpet and that **** was hard.

usd, I know what you mean with the painting, I used to lay carpet (still do occasionally) in houses without power. I had to hire someone to help me lay it out then it was all me. My wife rides me to do it full time because I like it and it pays really well. I also worked with my dad a lot and do home repairs in my spare time.

Laying carpet is one thing that always gets subbed out!! I hate doing that, plus I suck at it. It took 4 days for a guy to lay the carpet in this house, where it would of taken me about a month and it still would of looked like crap. ;D But I love framing, siding, plumbing and finish work!

Carpet is not that bad if you have the stuff to do it (like anything I suppose). I have a carpet stretcher so I don't kick it all in like I did the first couple houses I did. I don't care how strong you are, you can't kick tight like that stretcher can ;) . I like plumbing too, kinda like putting a puzzle together lol. My Grandpa was a carpenter and a legendary finisher from what I hear. He would make joints (such as on picture frames) and use his pocket knife to feather the edges so that it looked like one piece of wood where the two pieces came together.

Latest posts

Back