header stud broke.....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The98warrior

Reaction score
Tried taking off the header to take the a arm off and the stud on the cylinder head broke...both of them. My buddy said he's gunna try an extractor to get them out but well see. Ideas?

A good extractor set, center punch them REALLY good, possably a tap and die set, and ofcourse luck. Hopefully you can get them out without removing the head. If there is any meat left sticking out of the aluminum, try a stud extactor, twist off socket, or a vise grip. And I left vise grip for last for a reason, lol. Sometimes they work, sometimes they make it worse. Once you get them out you can tap the holes to m8. All you have to do after that is drill out the holes in the exhaust flange.

Why would you have to take the header off to get the A-arms off?
shouldn't have to man

The left upper a arm bolt closest to the motor hits the header before coming completely out. And I tried vise grips already but they were shitty so I stopped before I did more harm. Hopefully the extractor works. I got alot of people ridin Sunday.

I hate to tell you, but it is a bitch to extract them on the bench and almost impossible on the ATV. I have seen so many clusterf**k messes from people drilling them crooked, breaking off easy outs, breaking off drill bits, you name it. If you break off an easy out in it, the nightmare multiplies because they are very hard material and you can't drill them out.

Just my two cents, but save yourself some misery and pull the head and have a machine shop handle it for you.

im havin a buddy that works a shop and is one the best techs around from what im told come over tonight and hes gunna fix it for me for the cost of a case of beer so well see. ill take pics and post em.

Goodluck. I don't remember my a arm bolts hitting the header. But, then mine is an 88.

im havin a buddy that works a shop and is one the best techs around from what im told come over tonight and hes gunna fix it for me for the cost of a case of beer so well see. ill take pics and post em.

I hope he does you a good job. Most guys that would do it that cheap, have no idea whats ahead. I do it for a living and deal with it daily and I wouldn't attempt it on the atv at all. Last one I did I had to clamp the head in the guide and seat machine and level it up. Had to drill every last bit of it because it would not budge. Ended up putting a helicoil in it even after all that.

Well he does it for a living also and said he did one 2 days ago on a customers bike so im ASSUMING he knows what's he's doing lol

Back