hard starting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngoss93

Reaction score
ok I have looked and looked all over the forum and couldn't find wat I was looking for. so, when I try and start the motor it is very hard cranking and slow as if the battery was dead. I thought maybe the solenoid so I did a jumper wire around that and still the same thing. I used a volt meter and I have just about 12 volts at the battery and on the one side of the solenoid but on the other side of the solenoid when I try to start it its at like 5 volts then when it seams like the engine frees up for just a second it will jump up but then seams like it seizes back up or something. when I pull the spark plug and try starting it, it cranks fast and to me seams like that's wat it should be doing but im kinda stumped at wat to do next. also ive found a lot of guys on here on other peoples problems say it the one way bearing witch I replaced mine with probably less then 3 hours of riding. if anybody would know anything about wat may cause this please help me out. thank u

Not sure if you have the same problem but a new starter solved my slow cranking issue immediately.

I could text u a video this evening. If u just text me at 402-380-1095 and I can send it to u. And the starter if fairly new and I noticed last night I finally got it started and I let it run for about 10 mins then I shut it off and tryed starting right away and it would fire up but after sitting maybe 15 mins it would do the same slow cranking again

have you had your battery tested like someone else suggested? just because it reads 12 volts doesnt mean it has a full charge.

A fully charged 12 volt battery will have closer to 13 volts in it then 12 volts.

Take a jumper cable for cars and hook one end of the positive to the positive post of the battery and touch the other end directly to the cable post on the starter. See how well it spins. If not very good, new starter time.

he says right in his first post that the voltage drops down to 5v when he trys to start the bike. it shouldnt drop below 9-9.5v at the lowest. load test the battery! most places do this for free. it most likely either needs to be charged or replaced. i wouldnt test a starter until i ruled out the battery.

Back