gussets

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear down tube by the foot pegs all the way to the top of the subframe

The front horizontal rails behind the lower rear a arm mount.

i think i may add 2 tubes to the rear sub just to make it a 6 point and brace it better in case of a roll

That wont solve the problem, its the main frame thats weak there, the subframes are stupid tough on these, I have rolled mine 6+ times and it has never bent, and when I roll it, I go hard. And the only things I ever broke was headlight bracket and grab bar bracket. The rest was due to abuse.

While you`re at it finish the rest of the factory welds too. They did a bad job at the factory when they welded them.

Yea,why did Yamaha do a piss poor job on the welds of the frame?I have the same problem

yea i planned on finishing the welds i just dont want to twist another frame so tryin to find major spots and some not so major just needed bracing but i want this frame to last

yea i planned on finishing the welds i just dont want to twist another frame so tryin to find major spots and some not so major just needed bracing but i want this frame to last

Well I wish I could show you a diagram of where we're gonna gusset my frame. I want to add some serious strength to the rear of my frame, cause I plan on throwing 30 more horsepower at it (70hp total), and hitting the dunes.

We're also gonna build some custom a-arms (or try anyway), and a custom swinger.
I say we, cause I'm not doing it alone. I have sourced some help. lol
It's gonna be some seriously "badass"!! :evilface:

While you`re at it finish the rest of the factory welds too. They did a bad job at the factory when they welded them.

Yea,why did Yamaha do a piss poor job on the welds of the frame?I have the same problem

Before you do that, let me explain why they did it like they did.

First basic welding info.

Welding fuses two pieces of metal by heating then beyond their melting point, adding metal and running high voltage electricity through it, all of this at the same time and in a space the size of a pencil.
Now when heating steel to its melting point and letting it cool again you loose all of its temper. Which makes it quite suseptable to failure.

Now on to the point.

If you look at the frame you will notice that ALL of the welds go down a tube length ways, never around it. This is actually stronger then a full boxed weld due to the way steel acts after it has lost its temper. It will last longer if you add gussets and leave the rest of the joints alone.

Thats the condensed version.

@ duneracerweston,thanks for explaining that,also well said!it makes since.but my welds are bad on certain spots of the frame almost like the weld is coming apart,so I have to find someone with a tig welder to fill in certain spots.I would've thought the frame welds would've held up longer but then again I have 01

I have a 02, is the paint chipping or weak welds? I use a small mig to weld mine. Works fine. Remember this isn't cromaly so its a little more forgiving on the type of welder used.

No problem i wondered the same thing when I gusseted mine the first time, also use 1/8th" or 3/16" nothing thinner or it will flex tomuch.

Thanks duneracerweston ill keep all that in mind, I guess its weak welds that over time are giving out, I can see through part of the welds at different spots on the frame,but thanks man

Back