gotta work out the kinks

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluethunder86

Reaction score
finally got some time this weekend to play with my warrior. just bought it this week. the guy i got it from bought it for the tires but once he road it he did not see why he should part out a good running atv. knowing its an 88 i figured it needed work. after looking over things i noticed there was parts that were missing, parts that needed replacing, and parts that might not even be needed on this atv. for starters, the wiring was fried and the guy fixed it. looks like he bought a universal aftermarket kit cause i got some wires that lead no where. the front break master cylinder is shot, no top and probably seized parts inside. the front bushings and steering has play in it. the chain has to much slack in it so im thinking the rear needs to be adjusted. cleaned the carb real quick and realized the throttle needle wiggles to much which is probably not a good thing. it will shift through all the gears but it has been hard to find neutral sometimes. when i bought this beast i knew it would need some tlc, but at least it runs and rides.

ill post a few pics tonight. any suggestions on maintenance, repair, or experience would be great. thanks

maintenance,

grease every Zerk fitting that you can see should be 8 up front and 2-4 in the rear(not sure on total back there)
change the oil and the oil filter, a lot of people forget the filter
keep chain lubed up
i always go through the wiring every few rides to make sure i did not catch any wires while riding
i also bump it up from 93 to 98-100 octane every few tanks, whether that helps or not idk but it helps my mind a little

repair,
buy off ebay and there is
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/4789-yamaha-2002-warrior-yfm350xp/assemblies/140891
gives me close to dealer prices.
remember that most parts change out between raptor, big bear, and one or two more bikes.

experience,
download the free manual from this forum

maintenance,

grease every Zerk fitting that you can see should be 8 up front and 2-4 in the rear(not sure on total back there)
change the oil and the oil filter, a lot of people forget the filter
keep chain lubed up
i always go through the wiring every few rides to make sure i did not catch any wires while riding
i also bump it up from 93 to 98-100 octane every few tanks, whether that helps or not idk but it helps my mind a little

repair,
buy off ebay and there is
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/4789-yamaha-2002-warrior-yfm350xp/assemblies/140891
gives me close to dealer prices.
remember that most parts change out between raptor, big bear, and one or two more bikes.

experience,
download the free manual from this forum

i was told in another forum thread that the A-arms of an 87 could be swapped to the 88 only so the bushings could be replaced easier and cheaper rather then buying new joints every time it blows one out. good call on the wiring. mine was done by an amerature so it looks butchered. got a good manual off this forum and plan to clean the carb better and yes i do the oil change when ever i buy a used atv even a new filter. thanks for the website link.

Yes the 87 arms will fit. I did it to my 88 and now I can replace the ball joints when they go bad. 87 was the only year fo replacable balljoints, and 88 is the only year they will bolt up too. Double check your tie rod ends and that lower steering stem bearing. Make sure the swinger and axle bearings are tight.

Also use a camera and or video. There was a guy that list bids up of everything he was working on and I thought it made communicating a lot easier. What I did was went through ad added electrical grease to every connection that I could then used liquid electrical tape on everything. Helped with water and everything

Also use a camera and or video. There was a guy that list bids up of everything he was working on and I thought it made communicating a lot easier. What I did was went through ad added electrical grease to every connection that I could then used liquid electrical tape on everything. Helped with water and everything

i dont have a small video camera and my phone is not a smart phone. took a good amount of pictures when i got it home. lost the card somewhere when i took the warrior for a ride. anyway im doing a paint job on the front fenders right now. will get new shots up soon, hopefully tonight if the rain backs off.

Also -> does anyone know which is better: closed air box or open air filter adapted to the carb? knowing how vehicles run better with a cold air intake i would bet so do atv's. i ride on packed down wooded trails, the occasional puddle and shallow sloppy mud hole, and snow. i was considering going open air filter since my air box now has a gaping hole in the top with multiple cracks all over. whats everyones take on this mod?

Back