Good Cold Temp Batteries and Spark Plugs

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockgrenade

Reaction score
Anything out there good for cold temps? I'm talking as low as 10F. Also looking for a cold condition spark plug that runs hotter than the typical ones you can get..

Lithium battery's are light and do great in the cold from my experience.

Although it is heavier then the stock battery, a Grizzly 660 battery has 100 more cold cranking amps then the stocker. You have to cut out the sides of the battery box for it to fit. But, it turns over great! As for a hotter plug, IF my memory serves, the lower the number on an NGK plug, the hotter it is. Example: D8EA is colder then D7EA. BUT!!!!! I burnt some brain cells.

You're right higher number equals colder but that would do nothing for cold weather temps. Changing to a colder plug is only needed when increasing combustion chamber pressure. A colder plug helps take the heat out of the chamber faster to combat detonation.

You're right higher number equals colder but that would do nothing for cold weather temps. Changing to a colder plug is only needed when increasing combustion chamber pressure. A colder plug helps take the heat out of the chamber faster to combat detonation.

That is why he is asking for a plug that will do better in cold conditions. In other words, he wants a hotter plug. Me, I don't change a plugs heat range. I personally have never seen a difference. I'll go from a standard plug to a platinum or iridium. But, the only time I've ever run a hotter plug is when I couldn't get the factory one, and was in a pinch.

From Wiki:

A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery) more commonly known as a sealed battery is a lead–acid rechargeable battery. Because of their construction, VRLA batteries do not require regular addition of water to the cells, and vent less gas than flooded lead-acid batteries.[1] The reduced venting is an advantage since they can be used in confined or poorly ventilated spaces.[2] But sealing cells and preventing access to the electrolyte also has several considerable disadvantages as discussed below.
VRLA batteries are commonly further classified as:

• Absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery
  • Gel battery ("gel cell")
An absorbed glass mat battery has the electrolyte absorbed in a fiber-glass mat separator. A gel cell has the electrolyte mixed with silica dust to form an immobilized gel.
While these batteries are often colloquially called sealed lead–acid batteries, they always include a safety pressure relief valve. As opposed to vented (also called flooded) batteries, a VRLA cannot spill its electrolyte if it is inverted. Because AGM VRLA batteries use much less electrolyte (battery acid) than traditional lead–acid batteries, they are sometimes called an "acid-starved" design.
The name "valve regulated" does not wholly describe the technology. These are really "recombinant" batteries, which means that the oxygen evolved at the positive plates will largely recombine with the hydrogen ready to evolve on the negative plates, creating water and preventing water loss.[1] The valve is a safety feature in case the rate of hydrogen evolution becomes dangerously high. In flooded cells, the gases escape before they can recombine, so water must be periodically added.
AGM batteries differ from flooded lead acid batteries in that the electrolyte is held in the glass mats, as opposed to freely flooding the plates. Very thin glass fibers are woven into a mat to increase surface area enough to hold sufficient electrolyte on the cells for their lifetime. The fibers that compose the fine glass mat do not absorb nor are affected by the acidic electrolyte. These mats are wrung out 2–5% after being soaked in acids, prior to manufacture completion and sealing.
The plates in an AGM battery may be any shape. Some are flat, others are bent or rolled. AGM batteries, both deep cycle and starting, are built in a rectangular case to BCI battery code specifications.

A gel battery (also known as a "gel cell") is a VRLA battery with a gelified electrolyte; the sulfuric acid is mixed with silica fume, which makes the resulting mass gel-like and immobile. Unlike a flooded wet-cell lead-acid battery, these batteries do not need to be kept upright. Gel batteries reduce the electrolyte evaporation, spillage (and subsequent corrosion issues) common to the wet-cell battery, and boast greater resistance to extreme temperatures,[citation needed] shock, and vibration. Chemically they are almost the same as wet (non-sealed) batteries except that the antimony in the lead plates is replaced by calcium, and gas recombination can take place.

That temperature range on the NGK plugs is smaller number is a plug that has a higher self cleaning temp. Nothing to due with ignition intensity.
A plug that has a lower number needs a higher combustion temperature to keep the tip firing properly

That is why he is asking for a plug that will do better in cold conditions. In other words, he wants a hotter plug. Me, I don't change a plugs heat range. I personally have never seen a difference. I'll go from a standard plug to a platinum or iridium. But, the only time I've ever run a hotter plug is when I couldn't get the factory one, and was in a pinch.
Yeah but outside temp has nothing to do with combustion chamber temps

Yeah but outside temp has nothing to do with combustion chamber temps

Right, but, that is what he is talking about. A plug that will do better in cold weather conditions. There isn't one. I just chilled enough to understand his post better. Was amped up on 5hr energy;):slayer:

Back