Going to try and wrap my header/exhaust.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonp

Reaction score
When riding in tight spots on the trail and when driving slowly through the woods on the now getting hot days I find the engine to get quite hot and my seat does as well. I did coat the under side of the seat with some heat shield stuff and found it help a little but I'm also looking to cool it off some more. So I decided to try some header wrap and see what I think of that. I know this voids all header company/manufacture warranty but my header is starting to already rust and look like **** so I don't care. Also thinking I might get just a little more performance out of the engine. I give it a shot and give a review of it later on.
For a 350cc engine this thing lays the power down. I'm quite happy with results so far.

I tried header paint but it just flaked off. Let us know how well this works

The only thing that I hate about header wrap is that it holds moisture in and rots the exhaust even faster. I used it on an old header on my GTI and it seemed like it was no time that the damn thing was rotting to pieces.

yea thats very true, i guess it depends what kinda metal the header is...

Yeah, wrap on off-road vehicles doesnt usually work too well.

Plasti-Kote makes a very good high temp header paint, that holds up very well in off-road conditions. The trick is to make sure the header is cleaned and prep'd properly, and the drying and curing directions are followed exactly.

Yeah this isn't something I would recomend if you like to drive in mud or go through water up to your gas tank.
I got it on last night and I bought some metal zip tites... those are junk, I'm going to take them off and get some hose clamps on there. I bought some stuff with copper in the material and little copper flakes went every where trying stuck on my cloths and hands. I don't think the **** is good for you either. It was hard to roll it on and keep it tight with the header on and with all the bends. I got it on and then took it out. She smoked for quite a while and you could smell the **** burning and curing.
I noted a couple things. There is way less heat coming from the exhaust. The exhaust pipe after the header gets a lot hotter. I'm going to wrap that as well. The exhaust tone is more sharp and it seems to have a little better response actually. Feels like it pulls a little harder, but I could be amaging it. I thought it was worth while but wouldn't recomend it as I think like jet hot coating would be a better option for fourwheelers.

jasonp said:
Feels like it pulls a little harder, but I could be amaging it.

Thats very possible Jason...

Exhaust gases cool rapidly, when they do that they condense and lose velocity, causing turbulence.

If you can keep the higher gas temp longer (by wrapping or ceramic coating) through the system and out the tail, you'll maintain better exhaust velocity, and get a better scavenging effect.

Griff said:
jasonp said:
Feels like it pulls a little harder, but I could be amaging it.

Thats very possible Jason...

Exhaust gases cool rapidly, when they do that they condense and lose velocity, causing turbulence.

If you can keep the higher gas temp longer (by wrapping or ceramic coating) through the system and out the tail, you'll maintain better exhaust velocity, and get a better scavenging effect.

I thought it was interesting that the back of the exhaust ran much, much hotter then before telling me that the exhaust gas could be cooling to much in the head pipe before wraping. The warrior does have a quite large header pipe (FST, Powroll has said) and we could say that because of the size, wraping it may help performance more then say a pipe that was a little smaller or sized more correctly.?
I do agree that the hotter you can keep the exhaust gas the less it will slow down through the pipe and this will help scavenging.
Last night it was cool and the exhaust just had a tone to it like I've never heard before. That and the intake noise seemed greater. I don't know maybe I'm just hearing and feeling things because I want to... Seems a little faster.

How hard would the wrap be to take on and off? I usually only do 3-4 long weekends of riding where I would really want something like this on the exhaust. If it comes off easy enough and is reusable, it may be worth it to me to take it on and off. That way if it gets wet riding I don't have to worry about it as it will be coming of in a few days.

I read that wrapping the headers does squat for performance. It was pointed out that there's no way the gases can cool fast enough to make any noticeable difference. The only time you should wrap your pipes for performance is when cooling the engine compartment for cold air intake purposes. An ASE certified master tech said that.... I don't know.

If you notice your engine running better when its cooler with wrapped pipes, maybe its due to the air being denser.

Probably the reason cercamic coatings make more power is that they stiffen the header the same way concrete stiffens speaker boxes and makes them louder. The stiffer the pipe, the better the scavenging.

justrandy said:
I read that wrapping the headers does squat for performance. It was pointed out that there's no way the gases can cool fast enough to make any noticeable difference. The only time you should wrap your pipes for performance is when cooling the engine compartment for cold air intake purposes. An ASE certified master tech said that.... I don't know.

If you notice your engine running better when its cooler with wrapped pipes, maybe its due to the air being denser.

Probably the reason cercamic coatings make more power is that they stiffen the header the same way concrete stiffens speaker boxes and makes them louder. The stiffer the pipe, the better the scavenging.

I'm ASE master certifed and John Deere diesel certified. I will tell you that it does help performance. Controlling heat is the main factor for doing this but the plus side is it also effects performance in a good way. The hotter you can keep the exhaust gas the faster it will flow out of the pipe or engine. The reason Jet hot coating works is not because it makes the pipe stiffer but thicker as it holds in the heat for better scavenging.
If you go to tractor pulls or anything with turbos or even nascar races you will see wrapped/ceramic coated headers. That will tell you right there that they are doing for a reason.
I will also tell you that since I've done this I've had to adjust my main jet on my carb. To me that right there tells me I'm making more power.

Like I said, I don't know... Just what I read. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

I've seen wrapped headers a lot too, but I've also seen a lot that weren't wrapped. What you say makes sense. Sure is interesting that you had to adjust your carb as a result. Seems to indicate something is happening.

Latest posts

Back