Glowing header

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadLastRacing

Reaction score
Header is glowing, plug is black and cuts out if you try and quick throttle it from a stop.....Running rich?

The header will usually glow regardless of jetting. If the plug is black its an indication of running rich. Engine dying when chopping the throttle is also an indication of the reverse limiter getting fubared which the Warriors are known for.

engine dying when chopping the throttle...

is this when you jab the throttle, the engine boggs down and if you hold the throttle when its bogging it will eventually kill it?

cuz mine does that on and off, I cleaned the carb, floats, and needles which helps but it comes back here and there.. probably more junk floating around in it..

Jab of throttle only, but it you clutch it out it revs out just fine and runs just fine. It might just be a tad rich. Traded the quad anyways to the new guy on here, Towchuck.

my header was glowing once, that's a sign of it running way too lean. when did you check your plug, might be black just from stabbing the throttle and it dying. Make sure your idle jet is good and clean and that your accelerator pump is working properly and not getting stuck. both of those shold clear up the problem aleast it did for me. if the accelerator pump is getting stuck I have a little trick for that and it works great.... take a spring out of a ball point pen put in there instead. It is much stronger and will keep that accelerator pump returning to where it should be :)

Common thinking you have but also the header can glow from running rich too. To rich, to much gas enters the jug and can seap into the exhaust valve and ignite in there which can heat up that header real quick. This wasn't on my quad, it was on one that I traded.

I've been pimpin that accel. pump mod on here for years.

If you have a aftermarket exchaust it will glow because of the thinner head pipe. If the plug is black it's too rich and your bog let's face it the warrior carburetor is junk. My 400ex runs circle around my warrior but my warrior was my first atv so it's it does right for me on certain occasions.

drtfn said:
If the plug is black it's too rich and your bog let's face it the warrior carburetor is junk.

:'( checked my plug the other day ..its black.. GAY :mad:

a friend of mine did my jetting but one thing I do know is when a plug gets black it'd running rich and if it's too rich it will bog. I had a friend I went to school with check the jetting because my carb was bogging when you wanted that snappy throttle response and he said the jetting was right on their was nothing he could do it was the carb. Then I saw people talking about it here and a couple of other forums and they said the same thing. I would most likely check the accelerator pump in the base. Mine base was push in on the acc pump and couldn't get a new one so I had to order a whole new carburtor from yamaha. Man that was expensive. this was before i found this forum.

Back