Getting out of reverse

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dte825

Reaction score
It is getting harder and harder to get my warrior out of reverse. I read a bunch of other threads of people who had the same problem but never really found a solution. It seems like everyone says it's worse the hotter the engine is. Is it a product of the oil being thinner when it's hot? I am about due for an oil change so maybe my oil's broken down. It's only been a problem for the last two rides I've taken but it's getting to the point that I don't want to put it into reverse. I feel like I'm gonna snap the lever off. :mad:Me and my riding buddies do alot of "trailblazing" so I really need it. Also, it grinds when I go from reverse to forward even with the clutch pulled in all the way and the motor at idle. Is this normal. And should it still go backwards when I am in neutral and I put it in reverse? AND when I am in neutral and put it in reverse, I cant stop it by pulling in the clutch. Strange. Sorry for such a long post, I just want to include as much info as possible.

I found that what has helped me is that replacing the spring waves inside which I believe are called dampeners and file the grooves in the clutch hub as it was all grooved up from the steels. I did that and I've never had to shut my machine off to get it back into forward from reverse like before.

The clutch is dragging. You can try changing the oil, but you'll probably end up replacing the clutch to get it back to normal. At a minimum, i'd say you'll at least have to replace the damper rings and file down any pits or burrs on the clutch basket like jasonp said.

It also goes into neutral like it was when it was brand new. I think when the hub gets worn and steels groove up the hub it cause them not to slide and hold the whole pack together also when the wave plates don't push the clutch plates appart it doesn't help anything either. I don't know if it's true or not but it seems to work great and a big improvement from what it was.

The clutch is dragging. You can try changing the oil, but you'll probably end up replacing the clutch to get it back to normal. At a minimum, i'd say you'll at least have to replace the damper rings and file down any pits or burrs on the clutch basket like jasonp said.
If your talking to me..i have a new clutch..it has always done this

I'll try playing with the clutch lever a little more. I always have done that but maybe I need a slightly different technique.

It depends on what kind of oil too. Cheap oils will make the clutch act up. Even cheaper motorcycle-specific oils like valvoline seem to make the clutch more troublesome compared to something only a few bucks more.

I just put it back into forward let the clutch out a little while holding pressure on the reverse lever and it will pop back in every time.

I just put it back into forward let the clutch out a little while holding pressure on the reverse lever and it will pop back in every time.

Thats also what I had to do, I also found rocking the quad forward and back while sitting on it and applying pressure to the lever did the trick too.

Back