foreward reverse lever keeps popping into neutral

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Gerbik

Reaction score
during the last few rides my sons foreward/ reverse lever keeps popping into neutral while shifting through gears. has happened 4 or 5 times. what could cause this? any ideas?

the shift rod... also there is a bolt on top of where the shift rod goes ... under that bolt is a ball and spring that keeps it from popping out ... you might want to have a look at that and maybe strech the spring a little

I rebuilt my lever.
It was stuck with rust and mud (of course). There's a roll pin holding the plastic handle to the shaft. Drive it out with a small screwdriver or punch. This will allow you to disassemble and clean all of the parts. I replaced the broken detent spring with one from a hardware store, greased and reassembled.

Worked flawlessly with fingertip pressure after that.

It's very east to do. Your lever probably isn't seating ("clicking in") to fwd/rev. The dog(s) where the handle shaft locks onto at either end of the range may be worn also.

the shift dog is most likely it if i stays in then pops when a larger load it put on the motor. it happened to my boat motor too. but if it pops out front and back then i might not be adjusted right, or like moto said, not clean. dis assymble it and check it out, then go from there!

Latest posts

Back